Meet Cyclone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoffrey

Established Member
Reaction score
Meet Cyclone
007 (800x600).jpg
008 (800x600).jpg
This cyclone is saving me money it cost 35£ of the Bay at Christmass .
The amount of dust it removes before it hits the bag as to be seen.
The Bin is half full and the bag is empty. Bags cost 14£ for 10 so will soon get my money back.
the dust extractor is a large numatic henery type. :)

Attachments

• 007 (800x600).jpg
    007 (800x600).jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 1,152
  • 008 (800x600).jpg
    008 (800x600).jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,152
Looks interesting, I take it the cone is a way to divide the waste. Dust one way and heavier chips go down to a different collector? I guess we could all improve our dust collection, but as it is a cost which doesn't directly increase output we don't see the value. However if we consider the alternative, it's more harmful than smoking!

There are various how-to videos on youtube for making these. I made one using an inverted traffic cone and a bin.
However, £35 quid is cheap enough not to bother going the diy route.

Hi Keith the dust and the chips go in the same bin.
If I don't keep on top of the dust I would have to give up woodwork. :roll:
I have two extractors 100mm for heavy shavings and chips & 68 mm on the cyclone for dust and general clean ups
Geoff :D

Philip n":4cwcw5jw said:
There are various how-to videos on youtube for making these. I made one using an inverted traffic cone and a bin.
However, £35 quid is cheap enough not to bother going the diy route.
Hi Philip I have seen the traffic cone one but for 35 quid I didn't bother.
its an interesting subject have you seen the Central Cyclone one on utube .
Geoff.

Geoff,

Excuse my ignorance - are the benefits of the cyclone better dust removal and therefore cleaner air?
How do you know? Not suggesting you are wrong, just looking for evidence.

Brian

The idea of a cyclone ( and a thein separator ) is to dump the dust into a receptacle before it reaches the main vacuum thus keeping the filters clean and the suction high.

finneyb":2k3nudnp said:
Geoff,

Excuse my ignorance - are the benefits of the cyclone better dust removal and therefore cleaner air?
How do you know? Not suggesting you are wrong, just looking for evidence.

Brian
Hi Brian for me the evidence is in the bin and not in the bag it stays cleaner and lasts longer
and I know because my eyes don't water no sore throat if I don't keep my shop clean I cant use it note I said clean and not tidy :lol:
Geoff

Geoff
I have just been looking at this on the bay and was a little surprised that it is only 12 inches tall. Can I ask.....
1... How big the tub you have it on is ?
2... Does the inlet tube ( the one on the side ) have something on the inside to direct the flow ?

Seriously thinking of replacing my home made separator which works, but not that well.

I haven't seen this particular type of cyclone but the theory is that the end of the outlet is further down the cone than the inlet so the air+particles has to swirl round and down to find it's way out. The air+particles accelerate as the radius decreases and the particles fly out of the airflow into the bucket at the bottom but the air goes up the outlet tube

Geoff,
Did you use a vacuum relief valve? I only ask because I've not bothered with one on my setup (a Dust Deputy on a blue plastic food bin) while it flexes a bit if I block the hose it seems to take it all in its stride quite comfortably. It seems that there's quite a bit of advocacy for relief valves, but my feeling was that with a well engineered cyclone and sturdy drum it was unnecessary. The other refinement I've not bothered with yet is a small sucker tube to hold the bags in place, again it's not seemed to be necessary - maybe because of the heavier bin liners I've used.
K.

Grahamshed":2ikiccxj said:
Geoff
I have just been looking at this on the bay and was a little surprised that it is only 12 inches tall. Can I ask.....
1... How big the tub you have it on is ?
2... Does the inlet tube ( the one on the side ) have something on the inside to direct the flow ?

Seriously thinking of replacing my home made separator which works, but not that well.
Hi Graham the tub I use is 14ins across and 16 ins deep I don't think its critical.
no the side one does not but the top one does it extends some 4 ins in to the cone.

GEOFF.

KevM":6p8mpx1u said:
Geoff,
Did you use a vacuum relief valve? I only ask because I've not bothered with one on my setup (a Dust Deputy on a blue plastic food bin) while it flexes a bit if I block the hose it seems to take it all in its stride quite comfortably. It seems that there's quite a bit of advocacy for relief valves, but my feeling was that with a well engineered cyclone and sturdy drum it was unnecessary. The other refinement I've not bothered with yet is a small sucker tube to hold the bags in place, again it's not seemed to be necessary - maybe because of the heavier bin liners I've used.
K.
Hi kevM I have not made a vacuum relief valve yet but I have crushed the bin once when I picked up a rag off the bench and it blocked
the pipe your bin is much stronger than mine a relief valve will fix it I will get a drum like yours off the bay and not bother.
If I Leave a blast gate open a bit its ok .I have not found I need a sucker tube for the bags.

Geoff

mseries":2km7tk5y said:
I haven't seen this particular type of cyclone but the theory is that the end of the outlet is further down the cone than the inlet so the air+particles has to swirl round and down to find it's way out. The air+particles accelerate as the radius decreases and the particles fly out of the airflow into the bucket at the bottom but the air goes up the outlet tube
mseries I think you have put it in a nutshell. :)

Geoff

Just got myself one of these, delivered extremely quickly. Will get it set up tonight/tomorrow and try it out. looks smaller than I was expecting :)

by a spooky coincidence I ordered one last weekend before this thread started, took it in the workshop today. Having sorted through my spares drawer I couldn't find any adapters to connect it up I guess I'll have to search online and order a couple (any links welcome), I'll hopefully have it installed next weekend

Latest posts

Back