Medullary rays In Other Species Besides Oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
I Googled but can't find any information, except medullary rays, mostly Oak quarter sawn. Which other species of quarter sawn timber produce medullary rays?
Thanks.

OK thanks people, in case I can't find any examples of these timbers. Anyone know where I could find some?

If you're after small pieces you could always try spindle blanks. I've bought quite a bit of things from Stiles and Bates, always good service.
For bigger pieces, I've heard surrey timber is good and does courier delivery if you dont live near there. Ill be shopping there soon, as they have some really nice stuff.

All timbers have medullary rays, it's just some like Oak are a lot more pronounced. The classic sapele veneered doors of the 70's usually had the quartersawn grain showing the fine medullary rays.

The best timber I've seen for it was some Bog Oak which had been quartersawn, the rays themselves were silvery in colour compared to the pitch black colour of the rest of the oak. Absolutely outstanding.

Back