Media player?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
What are the cool kids listening to music on these days? Apparently CDs aren't the "in thing" anymore?*

For years we've used an iPod (an old one, with the hard drive and big connector socket) plugged into the surround-sound via the headphone socket. It's not ideal....

We've just upgraded the surround-sound and the new one has all sorts of whizz bang gadgetry. It's got a USB input, but that's a bit slow to load (too many files to analyse?) and you need to use the TV to navigate etc. It's also got Bluetooth, but I don't store or stream much on my phone.

Can anyone suggest a stand-alone player for MP3s and the like? An HDMI output would be ideal (or even Bluetooth?), but RCA would also be ok.

Thanks!

* I already know the answer to that; they play it through their phone's speaker. Obviously anything below 200Hz isn't important....

Spotify etc is where it's at these days.

Download the app to your phone/tablet/laptop, plug phone in to surround sound via usb, and away you go...

You may need a subscription for Spotify depending on how you want to use it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Everything is on Spotify and everything is on your phone. I personally use Apple Music but it's generally all the same.

There are a ton of Bluetooth speakers out there for varying prices. I got a £20 one off Amazon which has been fine.

El Barto":26v4f7fv said:
Everything is on Spotify and everything is on your phone.

It's not and it's not ;)

A separate Bluetooth speaker isn't what I'm looking for as I want to utilise the half-decent speakers that I've already got. Thanks for the suggestions though

Is your MP3 collection stored on a hard disc somewhere? or something you can port to a big ass USB stick?

Depending on the levels of faff, you could go for a Google Chromecast Audio and usie digital out to the Amp and then use a pc to "cast" to it.
or maybe a NOW TV box with the usb stick plugged in and then HDMI audio out... Although I've not tested that.

Do you have a smart TV? USB music plugged into that and play via VLC or any other app it has onboard.

for reference, the USB slow to read lark is due to the old Ipod having a good ole fashioned HDD in there, and serial connection inside so its rather sluggish with large collections.

kevinlightfoot":qis5wl08 said:
So what do I do with all my CDs?

Give them to me Kevin? :D

Still very happy to listening to CDs and wish I had gone down the vinyl route but we were told they would become obsolete!

I have/had the Cambridge Audio Azur media player.
Its very good. Has the capacity for thousands of tracks, I believe its a 150GB hard drive.
You can load music in a few ways ,but I've only uploaded CDs to by inserting and storing. Playback quality is excellent but trawling through the lists can be a little bit tiring. Its just like a big iPod.
I'm pretty sure when I bought it the guy said there's some kind of display/interface available, a bit like a table mounted remote control but I haven't followed this up. Was just happy with it the way it is.

There's newer more clever stuff available and Cambridge have superseded it, but me, well I still like CD. I like having a cover to read a bit like the old vinyl days :D

Well I don't own a phone'I don't have spots any more ,my teeth are thankfully still all my own and nice and er off white,but the problem is my CD player has given up the ghost.Now do I go for a Smart spotified app with USB download and blueteeth that tapatalk through my google chrome cast audio .com .uk orrrrr do I keep listening to Radio 2 on my Roberts transistor radio?

Buy another Cd player, its the best way.

I still play vinyl and have 3 Cd players, or 8 if you count laptops, computers etc.

Pete

woodenstuart":2ebv9b07 said:
Is your MP3 collection stored on a hard disc somewhere? or something you can port to a big ass USB stick?

Yes it is.

woodenstuart":2ebv9b07 said:
for reference, the USB slow to read lark is due to the old Ipod having a good ole fashioned HDD in there, and serial connection inside so its rather sluggish with large collections.

When I said it was slow, I was referring to an external USB HDD, but same difference. You make a good point, I'll have to try it with a solid-state big ass USB stick instead. I've already got a 128GB one in the motor.

I'm trying to avoid involving the TV if possible. That Cambridge Audio wotsit is the sort of thing I imagined, a bit spendy though.

Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming!

I'm not sure this idea has not already been mentioned.... bear with me Dave.
Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?
https://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/products/p ... iscontinue

Edit. :roll: Scratch that. Last time I looked at these was (I have just realised, about 8 years ago!) Shhhesh! Can't find them anywhere lol. (homer)

Edit 2: My Marantz separates have been in storage in the cupboard since we moved several years ago. No room and what with the kids etc etc. Weirdly, I got them all down to clear the cupboard for the builders to fit an RSJ in on Saturday. (Don't ask). Been walking past the boxes since then missing it. Decided to put it in the shed. Might as well get some use out of it. 8 odd years ago I thought about getting that discontinued ipod dock for it but never did get round to it. Looking around to try and find one for sale I also remembered there was a better one on the market....Couldn't afford it new... Hmmmm. I wonder.... :-k
https://www.whathifi.com/arcam/r-dock/review
8 years (and 10 minutes on ebay) later and I got a used but mint one winging it's way to my soon to be but just occasionally Very Loud Shed. :twisted:
Sweeeeet!
Cheers Dave!
\:D/

If you system has bluetooth, why don't you just use a laptop?

You can always network it to the hard drive on the PC your music is stored on.

We've got a Yamaha sound deck for the telly, - excellent sound. I Bluetooth one of my ipods (not a new one, several years old) for window rattling music (only when the wife's at work, of course!).

Bluetooth does suck the battery though so be aware.

I deliberately listen to CD's more now knowing they aren't cool, makes me like them a lot more, go against the grain :D

After years of messing around with a home theatre PC Windows killed it with Win10 (no features to view dvds/cds etc). We turned to Amazon fire and have never looked back. It is connected to our tv and nice surround sound speakers. It also connects through wireless to our main PC which stores all our ripped cds. You can access the music using either your tv or through phone or tablet apps.

I would still rather have my old separates with cd player and physical cds but I had over a 1000 albums and my wife was fed up with the ever expanding collection and shelf space it was taking up. I am currently quietly encouraging my kids to get into records so I can start a nice record collection!

Latest posts

Back