Mechanism for a drop lid buruau?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billbeee

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am toying with the idea of making a drop lid bureau, (secretaire). Can anyone explain (or point me to a link ) the actual mechanism that brings out the support pieces as the lid is lowered.
Cheers
Bill.

Bill,

I have made a few of these, and whilst I don't know if this is the classic way, mine worked well.

The support arms run on runners like a drawer, on the underside of the "work-surface". Sticking through the worksurface at the back end of the support arm, in a long slot, is a short vertical member, protruding an inch or two. Hinged off the inside of the lid is a connecting piece, ideally slim and elegant, (you could make this of brass if you wanted) which has a pin connection to the vertical member on the support arm.

The geometry works best the further up the lid the connecting arm is attached.

Hope this helps

Mike

billbeee":29z2efzl said:
Hi All,
I am toying with the idea of making a drop lid bureau, (secretaire). Can anyone explain (or point me to a link ) the actual mechanism that brings out the support pieces as the lid is lowered.
Cheers
Bill.

Bill,
I made one of these some years ago and it featured in good woodworking mag last year (jan-march 2007 from memory). I made the linkages from brass...
This image is the loper open (i.e flap down)

2894900047_3da669e0b4.jpg

this is with the flap up, loper withdrawn
2895738634_e52a48e453.jpg

Both the above show the semi built stage, the top of the loper ran against the underside of the desk main surface (which was sliding dovetailed into the sides) - the loper was captive between that and the loper runner - and this one shows the loper runner (not the loper itself) from the front of the desk- I put an ebony strip on the top and a recessed screw so that I could fine tune the friction of the loper in the guide (and eventually adjust for wear) and then screwed the retainer that can be seen in the other photos.
2894899497_8fcc2293ab.jpg

If you have turbocad (turbo 8 or later) I can email you the orginal drawing that includes the loper mechansim. The file is a .tcw format. Send me a PM.

I spent some time with stripos of wood and nails as pivot points to get the balance and amount of throw correct.

Thanks Mike and Dave, that’s just the stuff I need.
I reckon you’ve given me enough info to make a couple of mock ups to test out the system.

We have neither antique shops or decent quality furniture places that I can go to and see one, or buy one for that matter. It is a sad fact, here in Aus that It will probably cost me more for the timber, than to get a custom unit built in say Thailand.

Thanks for the offer of the cad file Dave, I should be OK for now. If I get in strife I’ll ask again.

Cheers
Bill.

Back