Mdf skirtings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nippychippy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks bit of a dilemma we have oak veneered mdf skirtings into an internal curve about 1200 in length I tried kerf in the back and slowly pushing it in to the curve then snap :oops: #-o so my next plan is to make steam box and put the piece of skirting in and then try bend it The problem is I have never steam bent anything before and what are the chance of me damaging the veneer
Hopefully someone has done something like this before

Cheers robert

What radius is the bend.

I don't think steaming MDF veneer will work.

How about a very slow clamped bend, amazing how much it will bend just being lent up against a wall for a few days.

I just can't see this having a happy outcome.
Steam bending is for real wood with a long fibre composition
Mdf=blotting paper then add water???
Veneer and steam won't be happy partners either.
That said, I can't offer a method I'd use apart for laminating real wood for the curve and trying to match it.

How about cutting virtually all the mdf off and use the veneer resulting to surface a bent laminated strip?

I would have thought you would be better off laminating 2mm thick pieces over a former
do 3 at a time and use ratchet straps or vacuum press to pull it down. Then put your mould detail
on once you have built up to your required thickness with router in a table or spindle moulder
hope that helps
Paul

Cheers guys it's not a perfect radius it wasn't us that done it the radius is about 400 we don't have stuff like vacuum presses it got band clamps I might give that a go

Back