MDF or Plywood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-O

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm after a little bit of advice please, I'm planning on building a cupboard/wardrobe (which will be painted) into an alcove in our back bedroom. However, I don't know whether to use Plywood or MDF or even something else, what would be best?

Also, I understand if I use Plywood I will have to make a face frame to hide the ply is that right? If so, what would be best to make that out of?

Apologies if these are basic questions but I'm new to woodworking so your advice is greatly appreciated.

Stephen

mdf if u have dam problems batten the walls first before fitting the mdf t0 stop it rotting and give ventilation just sand the edges of the mdf to get a good painting finish you should be fine.
mdf and european style carcasses r much quicker and easier than face frames
regards Rick

Thanks.

I wasn't sure if MDF would be frowned upon on here... :oops:

Why would MR MDF be better if its just in a bedroom?

And sorry but what is 'european style carcasses'?

Stephen

MRMDF is much less fluffy than ordinary MDF. It finishes better, especially the edges of boards.
If you want face frames, and they are a nice appearance on the front of a fairly basic carcase, then tulip wood (AKA Canary Whitewood or American Poplar) is a good and relatively inexpensive material to use. Simple M&T joinery (trad, domino, router jigs or even pocket-hole joinery) will give you a good-looking face-frame which will hide whatever material you choose to use for the carcase itself.
S

phil.p":1yrb9z0i said:
Well, I wasn't intending to get the rolled up £20 notes out for it.
Well I'm surprised at your knowledge of the practical details...
:)
No wood dust is exactly good for you, but provided you deal with it sensibly, you should not be at any greater risk than the rest of us.
S

Steve-O":2bwefevm said:
Why would MR MDF be better if its just in a bedroom?
As mentioned above, It's a better quality board, all around for very little extra cost.

I wasn't sure if MDF would be frowned upon on here...
Mostly by people who've never used it, or who've used it incorrectly, then been disappointed and blamed the MDF ;)

And sorry but what is 'european style carcasses'?
Think kitchen-cabinet style carcass with an overlay door on concealed hinges, vs a face frame with an inset door on butt hinges.

Incidentally, you can conceal the cut edge of any board (MDF, ply, whatever) simply by lipping it in hardwood, or applying an edging strip.

HTH Pete

Back