MDF Doors and shelving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeder1987

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to make some doors and shelves for a frame which is already in place. It doesn't need to be a particularly neat job but just needs to restrict access inside. However I have no experience making doors or shelves so am after a bit of advice before I purchase the materials and make an silly person of myself.

The frame has the following dimensions including the 44mm wooden frame itself: width = 1690mm, height = 1572 mm and depth = 544mm. The structure of the frame has a cross beam going across the top and someone has already added mdf doors to the part above which I would be looking to replicate below. The side parts have two beams going across them for support which are attached by brackets, one beam near the floor and one about halfway up. I can post a sketch if required

So here's my plan please make any suggestions if you there is a better way of doing this .... that's why I'm posting this

Shelves

I'm planning to use the two side supports and put a piece of 18mm mdf across the whole length of the frame with the corners cut out so it will fit flush on all sides. I'm also planning to run a skirting round the bottom shelf as it will be to low too put anything underneath anyway and can add support and will stop junk going underneath. This also means that the doors don't need to go all the way to the floor and therefore I don't need to worry about clearance with the uneven floor. The upper shelf again will be attached to the cross bracing but I think it will need additional support. Will a simple square frame be sufficient attached with large brackets? It will need to hold a considerable weight over its life, pushing 100kg I would estimate and I don't want it to sag ..... or worse collapse.

Doors

For the doors I'm going to copy what the person has done on the cupboard above. The sides will have a piece of mdf on them to stop access from the side, and then a thin piece of mdf will cover the mdf side piece and the wooden frame (18 + 44mm = 62mm wide) which will have the stationary part of the hinge attached. The hinges used were the large triangular type found on garden gates (not sure of name sorry) and I am planning to use three on the length of the door. Do I have to worry about the door sagging at all?

Anyone know of a good mdf supplier in Hampshire, preferably near portsmouth. was thinking of using either jewsons or James lathem timber, but not sure if they will supply for such a small amount. Also any particular type of mdf I should looking for, I was planning on buying 18mm premium grade

If that's not clear then please let me know and any suggestions would be most welcome.

John

If your doors are made out of mdf they shouldn't sag; but they may warp slightly unless you make them of a frame and panel construction. If you use magnetic catches top and bottom you shouldn't have a problem with warping.

With the shelves you may be able to get away with a batten across the front and back, with the back screwed to the wall. You may be able to fix the shelves to the new sides in some way to give additional support in that direction. If you google on sagulator or something similar you may find something more scientific; but, as your client wants something rough and ready, you could probably just use your judgement.

It sounds like you need enough wood/mdf to justify a smaller merchant delivering.

Good luck.

DT

OK thanks for that the magnets sounds like a good idea, hadn't thought of that. I was thinking of using sanding sealer on the ends of the boards, will that help stop moisture pickup and therefore warping?

I could also get moisture resistant mdf, but probably much more expensive

John

What I meant by warping was that a sheet of MDF (or ply) won't necessarily be or stay flat, not necessarily due to moisture. The combination of magnets and hinges will help to keep it flat when it is closed.

You should use sanding sealer or something similar to get a better finish when painted.

DT

OK sorry, I get you now, have ordered the mdf anyway, got it from Travis Perkins so we will see what the quality is like, was the same price as the orange shed but is delivered.

Back