Maximum sharpening angle bd plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ali27

Established Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what the maximum angle is that one
sharpen a bd plane iron at? Probably around 35-40 degrees
I think.

Is a plane sharpened at 25 degrees sharper than 40 degrees?

I am asking because sharpening at 40 degrees requires far less
metal removal.

Thanks.

Ali

ali27":35dl4bae said:
metal removal.

Thanks.

Ali
No it doesn't. If you want to remove say 1mm from the edge of a blade of given thickness AND to maintain the same bevel (whatever shape it is; straight, facetted, rounded) the amount of metal removed will be the same. Geometry.

Jacob":3w0fm0gl said:
ali27":3w0fm0gl said:
metal removal.

Thanks.

Ali
No it doesn't. If you want to remove say 1mm from the edge of a blade of given thickness AND to maintain the same bevel (whatever shape it is; straight, facetted, rounded) the amount of metal removed will be the same. Geometry.

Pythagoras? a2+b2=c2

A 25 degree bevel has a ''wider'' bevel than a 40 degree bevel, so more metal must be removed in comparison? Or am I missing something?

Ali

ali27":17dbob2u said:
Jacob":17dbob2u said:
ali27":17dbob2u said:
metal removal.

Thanks.

Ali

Pythagoras? a2+b2=c2

A 25 degree bevel has a ''wider'' bevel than a 40 degree bevel, so more metal must be removed in comparison? Or am I missing something?

Ali
It's also thinner.

For end grain you need a decent amount of clearance, around 10 degrees or so. Otherwise you get burnished spots in the wood and worse cutting behaviour. In long grain cutting you don't need any clearance at all as long as the blade is sharp. But I suspect the wear bevel will have bad effects pretty quickly. So better to just keep at least 10 degree clearance angle in all your planes.

ali27":qdmc6ka2 said:
Pythagoras? a2+b2=c2

Ali

If you assume that you need to remove a given amount along the axis of the blade (L) and that the plane has a single bevel, and the blade has a thickness (T) the metal you're removing is a parallelogram of base L and height T.

And the area of a parallelogram is simply base x height.

http://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol1 ... ogram.html

So the angle doesn't matter (given the assumptions above...)

In practise, the wear patterns tend to mean that 'L' is a little larger for a very fine bevel edges, so this geometry, though lovely, is not applicable. The real world of applied mechanics tends to be complex, which is fun.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back