Maximum run length of a bookcase shelf?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riclepp

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all

Just a quick question. Is there a maximum or optimum run length of a single shelf in a book case. I am sure that I have read that it is 300 mm? I amassuming that after this that a new support is added. Any advice is greatly received.

Cheers

If you think about what you see in bookshops or libraries, as Den says, 900 to 1200 is normal. In those sizes you can use normal boards and make something that can be lifted, carried up stairs and through doorways. Hardwood will mean you can reduce the thickness or increase the length or load, compared to softwood.
If you want to be more exact, search for the Sagulator.

A typical bookshelf carries a load of approximately 25 lbs per linear foot (~11 kg per linear 300 mm). Den is right to mention timber type being a factor in the load carrying capacity of a shelf, and shelves between 600 and 900 mm long are common enough where the thickness is 18- 25 mm, whatever the material used, even chipboard, but at this length chipboard will sag very visibly. Changing the depth (thickness) of a beam (shelf) has, perhaps, the greatest impact on the ability to carry a load as the increase in strength is a square of the depth. For instance, doubling the depth of the beam means it can carry four times the load. Instead of making a shelf that is twice the thickness you can get essentially the same effect by adding lipping at the front and/or back edges of a thin shelf that is twice that shelf's thickness. In other words, if you add 36 mm deep lipping front and back to an 18 mm thick shelf you'll just about quadruple the book carrying ability.

I'll not go into detail about creep deformation which is permanent sagging due to the length of time a beam must carry a load, where this permanent bend, even when the shelf is unloaded, shows plastic deformation and indicates at least some failure of the shelf's structural make-up, e.g., wood, plastic, metal, chipboard, etc. Slainte.

All good advice.
If you opt for particleboard, you can reduce sagging if you choose the veneered variety rather than the melamine-coated kind.

Good advice on the lipping. Just done some1200 runs in 3/4 mdf with 2x1 ash doweled onto the front and the same beneath each shelf at the rear to brace it. Not very pretty, but pretty damn strong.

Greene and Greene used very nice waterfall shelves to make a shelf appear thinner than it is.

G_2600_G_2D00_Details_5F00_13.jpg

More details here: http://www.americanwoodworker.com/b...0/24/greene-and-greene-furniture-details.aspx

Back