Matchfit dovetail clamps or would track clamps work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tested them on 18mm hardwood ply - in ref. to the 3/4 material comment. No flex in the surface noticed to press, despite the depth. Going to try them on 19mm valchromat very soon. 18mm ply surface was totally covered in 20mm 96mm centre dogholes also.

The grooves were a breeze to cut in 19mm valchromat.

Thanks Bill. With a bit of luck I will get cracking on my valchromat this week. Have seen your bench builds - impressive. A quick off topic question - what kind of castors did you use, and how did you fix them?

GBL - Castor Wheels 50mm + Screws 200KG | 4 Moving Caster Wheels with Brake Heavy Duty Swivel Wheels for Furniture - Trolley Wheels with TPE Rubber | Heavy Duty Castors for Furniture: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I just used the screws that came with them. If I had had any foresight I'd have run dowels through the legs for the screws to grip since they're screwed into end grain. I can't see why they're going to be under any force except vertically downwards for 99% of the time though.

Hi Derek, no, alas, the profile of the Matchfit clamps (or mine at least) is ever so slightly different to the Festool ones I also have that came with my TS55/track kit. To the eye they look very very similar, but when you attempt to insert the Matchfit clamp into the underside of the Festool track, it goes in partially (almost to the shoulder) and then stops. Not to say they couldn't be "made to fit", but mine don't out of the box. I have actually been tempted to buy some Bessey clamps (EZR15-6) for the purpose after seeing a video by Peter Parfitt.

Thanks. I have ordered the Besseys.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I scored a really good deal on a pair of Makita guide rail clamps.
i tried giving it a similar profile to the Microjig one with an angle grinder, and routing a slot using a regular dovetail router cutter. One clamp was ok, but I messed one up.

somebody with a better eye might have better luck with this cheapskate alternative 😃

I will say that the matchfit clamps work perfectly on the Makita track for tracksaws, but cannot say if the Makita track saw clamps would work in the matchfit grooves.

They seem pricey but once you start using them, then you soon realise they are a sound investment. I also use the other parts for jigs and they make the clamps seem cheap.

As to the cutters I use the 1/4 inch Wealdon T1017 14° and the 1/2 inch Infinity 18-628 14° but run a 6mm slot in first.

Back