master/slave socket and Henry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilljc

Established Member
Reaction score
A question for those in the know about these things.
I use a master/slave socket with my footswitch operated hegner plugged in to the master, and Henry into the slave. It works great for a while, but I have just killed the second socket, things start to flicker, and then the vacuum no longer comes on when I press the footswitch :(
Is it OK to leave henry running for an hour or two at a time while I work on a piece, or is it better to switch him off at each change of cut? I'm worried about burning put the motor.
I would point out that my shed is powered by an extension run from the house, and attached to further extensions in the shed, and the multisocket that my saw/vacuum work from also runs the overhead light. It all seems to work fine until the master/slave socket gets a bit older (a few months) and then all goes to pot

Gill I always run my shop vacuum through a Cyclone Dust Commander like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUST-COMMANDE ... SwT6pV3yUO it makes the dust bypass the vacuum so all the dust/chips go into a plastic tub and the vacuum filter never gets blocked etc so you have maximum power all the time which should also put less strain on your vacuum.
They are easy to set up but you usually have to make a couple of adaptors to suit your own vacuum hose diameter (I use scrap wood for the adaptors)
They are worth every penny and once you use a cyclone you will never go back to a normal vacuum.
Cheers
Brian

After you have "killed" it and the hoover no longer works, does the scroll saw still operate from the footswitch?

It could the footswitch is increasing the amperage too much for the socket to handle it.

You should check the power ratings for the switch and the hoover to make sure the switch is rated for the load. The rating for an inductive load like a motor is likely to considerably less than for a TV for example. If you are running it close to, or over it's rated load it will most likely fail after a while due to thermal stress. You should also check the ratings for your extension leads too to make sure they can handle both machines safely , that's unlikely to contribute to the switch failure it would just mean everything runs a bit slow (and warm)
Most Hoovers should have a thermal cut-out so if they get too warm they will stop before anything is damaged to much, but wouldn't advise running regularly for long periods of time.

the scroll saw still runs (and from the master socket) and the hoover still works when plugged in to another socket, it is only the 'slave' sockets that no longer work

Hi Gill. Not an answer to your problem but I thought as you had brought the subject up I will relate what happened to me. I had one of my Henry's plugged into the scroll saw and ended up burning the motoe out, thankfully it was still under warranty and the motor was replace. I had it connected to various sizes of pipe work ending at the blower hose on the saw and the extra work was to much for the Henry, I then switched to the same size pipes that is on the Henry and never had a problem since. I run Hwnry for about an hour and then it's time to put the kettle on again.

gilljc":gixry29h said:
Is it OK to leave henry running for an hour or two at a time while I work on a piece, or is it better to switch him off at each change of cut? I'm worried about burning put the motor.

I would not recommend leaving any domestic vacuum cleaner running continuously especially for an hour, most Numatic 'Henrys' are equipped with motors rated between 800-1100 watts and will generate quite a lot of heat approx equivalent to a 1 bar electric fire. They are not intended to run continuously and you may overheat the motor (not all vacs are equipped with an overload cut out) apart from the overheating you are also using approx one unit of electricity every hour which will increase your electricity bill be around 16-20pence per hour of use.

Thanks all :)
Had a hunt on amazon and found another brand of master/slave socket which gets a good rating from someone who uses it to work his table saw and dust extractor, so hopeful this one might hold out a bit better, and it's half the price of the ones I had bought before - well, we will see....

gilljc":3dqvjq69 said:
Thanks all :)
Had a hunt on amazon and found another brand of master/slave socket which gets a good rating from someone who uses it to work his table saw and dust extractor, so hopeful this one might hold out a bit better, and it's half the price of the ones I had bought before - well, we will see....
Perhaps post a link to that one? It may be of use to others in the future. :D

Ok , not sure if I have done this right, but this is the first type I bought and works really well, until it stops working, suspect it was overloaded, my fault

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Status-S3WSPMSA ... slave+plug

And this is the new one I bought, postage to pay, but still cheaper, was a bit disappointed that ordering 2 incurred higher postage, often remains the same

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-Indo ... 160%2C160_

pretty sure that's not right, can anyone tell me how to share links, am dinosaur....

Ooh! it works....am genius =D>

gilljc":1naa5zuk said:
Ok , not sure if I have done this right, but this is the first type I bought and works really well, until it stops working, suspect it was overloaded, my fault

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Status-S3WSPMSA ... slave+plug

And this is the new one I bought, postage to pay, but still cheaper, was a bit disappointed that ordering 2 incurred higher postage, often remains the same

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-Indo ... 160%2C160_

pretty sure that's not right, can anyone tell me how to share links, am dinosaur....

Ooh! it works....am genius =D>
Nice idea. I looked at those before, a few years back, but they were much more expensive then. Much more appealing now.
No ratings to say what ampage they can take, but when they are so much cheaper than the likes of the Axi ones, I'd just keep replacing them.

Love the Genius bit :mrgreen:

Back