Masculine and feminine timbers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Having a his and hers pens order to make up this weekend got me to thinking are there woods that are considered more suitable for male and female persons? I know its just going to be down to personal taste but are there traditional his and hers woods?
My first guess would be big strong trees - oak, ash, walnut etc would be the male and the smaller (fruit?) woods - plum, cherry, laburnum, yew etc would be the female?
So two pens to make, of the same design and finish, two woods that would be obviously his and hers?
What do you think?
Oak and yew? walnut and laburnum? zebrano and cocobolo? (just some that are in the drawer already)

Hi

Another take - straight grain / figure = masculine, sinuous grain / figure feminine - also light woods seem to suit the feminine more than dark ones

Or am I just deranged?

Regards Mick

Stereotypical I know, but is there anything with a hint of pink in it- damson, plumb, lilac, maybe yew. Failing that I would go for a fine grained light timber- have you still got a lacewood blank for the female one (or any of that very light rippled walnut that you turned for me?)

For male, if you have a dark walnut or oak and fume it for 24 hours before oiling- that is very masculine and "boardroom" for me.

I have (I think) some walnut and light rippled walnut if you want me to send you a couple. I have some lacewood but not precut to pen blanks. Can soon do so though.

English walnut for male and rippled maple for female, IMHO as long as the female wood is blonde and male dark your on a winner.

Just a thought I sure that certain woods are connected to certain names or star signs ect maby have a look into that for each client and then reevaluate the choices of wood.

Never made a pen before so I'm just spitballing
Thanks
TT

Or .............

Male: Douglas Fir

Female: Olive, Hazel, (Rowan, Willow if you're a fan of The Wickerman)

Off for my coat

Mick

Posted a list of birthday trees in the general chat section. Probably completely irrelevant but it might help someone. :)

Not that I make pens but for those who do we have sheoke (sometimes spelled she-oak) and buloke (bull-oak), both casuarinas.

Here"s a couple,

Pine, masculine because it"s cheap and rough but always good to have with you, and

Holly, feminine because it can sometimes be bloody "prickly" to handle

Latest posts

Back