Marking Knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pauls Sellers recommends a couple of marking knives. A Stanley one and more recently a Swann Morton one that looks very nice. Luckily you can order both in the UK. The Swaan Morton reseller won't ship outside the UK. :(
But anyway if Paul Sellers likes them they must be both good. He talks at length about them on his blog.

I did have an Ashley Isles marking knife but it was only single bevel and therefore difficult to use both handed i.e. left and right handed. I treated myslef to a Pfeil marking knife, which has a double bevel and a nice point to get into tight areas and am very pleased with it.

If I was buying again, I'd either buy the Pfeil or the Swann Morton type scalpels with replaceable blades.

I think it comes down to personal preference. It's like asking people to recommend a pen, or a pair of socks. We each put a different value on price, durability, sharpness, edge retention, appearance, fit to the hand, and indeed, style of edge. There are lots of choices out there, all someone's favourite.

That said, I still like the Japanese knife with a single long point which I bought from Axminster a few years ago.

I also like one I made from a broken needle file.

My favourite are Swann Morton No 3 handle with 10A blades for veneer cutting and general marking out and No 4 handle with 26 blades for scribing dovetails.

We also use AI left and right handed knives the Veritas spear point striking knife but I find the both a little more time consuming to keep really sharp.

This is a short article I wrote a few years ago about my experience of knives in the workshop.

http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.c ... sefton.pdf

Cheers Peter

Gerard Scanlan":2pkoybxa said:
Pauls Sellers recommends a couple of marking knives. A Stanley one and more recently a Swann Morton one that looks very nice. Luckily you can order both in the UK. The Swaan Morton reseller won't ship outside the UK. :(
But anyway if Paul Sellers likes them they must be both good. He talks at length about them on his blog.
"Marking" knife is a bit of a misnomer.
Sellers says: "Knives for woodworkers are often called striking knives or layout knives because we strike and lay out the cut lines of shoulders, cut around hinges and other hardware and trim and fit veneers and thin or small sections of wood to size."
In other words they are not for marking as such but are for marks which need cutting.
Most marks are better done with pencil or scribe point. Trying to do everything with a "marking" knife can make things really difficult!

I bought one of these from Dieter Schmid.
At first I wondered wether it might be uncomfortable to use, but at least for me it is fine. True, I don't se it a lot.

G.

Attachments

• shirabiki309020.jpg
    shirabiki309020.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 3,257
I use my wilkinson sword made sgian dubh with a single bevel very good it is too

I use the Stanley model that Paul Sellers uses, I love it, the blade sharpen up real good and last forever (I'm still on my 1st blade 2 years down the line). It just fits me, I did try a Swann Morton with 10A blades but found it too flimsy for me, I also tried a single bevel job but just plain didn't like that. Horses for courses.

Jacob is correct, I only use my knife across the grain or on end grain (dovetail layout) everything else is either pencil or marking gauge. The exception to this rule is when fitting hinges/hardware then I mark all the way around with a knife.

Matt

very easy to make one out of a hacksaw blade and grinding wheel or belt sander. you can make both left and right hand very quickly - Masking tape makes a good handle.

Mark-numbers":25z3oqe4 said:
very easy to make one out of a hacksaw blade and grinding wheel or belt sander. you can make both left and right hand very quickly - Masking tape makes a good handle.

+1
I lost mine, so I use a Stanley knife. Maybe I should get to making another from a machine hacksaw blade! :mrgreen:

I'm a fan of the Swann Morton scalples too... But, I did have a non-replacable blade scapel I liked that I kept in my lab, unfortunately someone spilled acid all over it, and it rapidly ceased to be a scalpel.

If I could find another it would make a perfect scrbing knife, taking a very fine edge, but rather stiffer than the replaceable blade ones.

I'm interested in the Swann-Morton PM40 & PM60 scalpels for much the same reason, being pathologists dissection instruments they're built to be much more robust than the main range, but still have replaceable blades.

I've tried several over the years. My first, and still the favourite, is a Joseph Marples like this one from Toolnut - http://www.toolnut.co.uk/products/measu ... Knife.html - that I bought from Alan Holtam's Old Stores Turnery near Nantwich a long time ago. It's robust, so it'll do delicate and it'll do lean on it when you want a deep trench for a chisel start. The steel is tough enough that the point never breaks off, but hard enough to take a lasting edge, and it sharpens easily. It does about 90% of my marking knife work. For the odd occasions when it won't get into somewhere tight, a scalpel has always done me.

Spear point knives are very fashionable these days, I think on the grounds that you can transfer dovetail marks from tail to pin board on both sides of each tail. Fair comment, but that's only a small proportion of marking knife work, generally (unless you make nothing but dovetailed boxes), and that's only for through dovetails anyway. Falling victim to fashion, I bought a Faithfull spear point knife last year (I'm far too tight to pay the thick end of £50 for a Blue Spruce one) - it costs a few pennies more than the Marples. It seems OK, though it's a bit too thick to get between really close dovetails. It's nice and light, comfortable in the hand, and does everything else well enough.

I have a couple of Japanese knives from Axminster. As you'd expect, they hold their edge very well, though I find them too thin to hold comfortably (much prefer the wooden handles of the Marples and Faithfull), even with a draughting tape 'handle', and since I've already got knives that work, I haven't invested the time to make wooden handles for them.

Almost anything can be made to serve - pocket knife, chisel end, whatever. I think Paul Sellers has demonstrated making one from a redundant small kitchen knife. Should do the job perfectly well.

I have used the Pfeil for years and love it. I find scalpel blades too flexible for this (though I have them also), and as Jacob says it is in effect also a small chisel. Yes, of course you can make them also but I do recommend the double bevel.

Keith

(originally posted to Woodcentral)

wearing_dt_knife.png

It's just a piece of machine hacksaw blade, with ground out recesses to allow access for honing. Sharpening is only on one side, and both ends are sharpened on the same side.

Thus, being double ended, one end does the left hand tail, the other the right.

You can make the middle part (that you hold) more comfortable with anything from a few turns of tape (easy) to cocobolo scale held nby brass rivets (fancy)

BugBear

Back