Marbling finish for wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred55

Established Member
Reaction score
Just been to the Harrogate show and was really impressed with the marbelling finish by one of the exhibitors. So off to the shops bought some acrylic paints - filled a container with water; next tried to float the slightly watered down paint on the surface ! and of course it sank ! - don't know why I was surprised it is water based. So off to youtube see how they do it - some fantastic work ! look at the links where they colour guitars realy good ; QUESTION what is the medium they float the paints on. I spent two hours and only thing I learnt was how to marble my nails should I wish.

Thanks bugbear - you are right the paints are oil based. It must be the Yorkshire in me thought the cheap acrylic was the same. Just tried a small kit bought from the show (brian clegg from Manchester) and it does float gives some good vivid colours on the wife's clothes pegs.

fred55":1i5ki7k9 said:
Just tried a small kit bought from the show (brian clegg from Manchester) and it does float gives some good vivid colours on the wife's clothes pegs.

Now you've practised, are you going to do your own clothes pegs as well? :lol:

Thanks for that Andy - I always look good hanging out the washing with marbelled nails and fancy pegs and no photos will not be released. Maybe a good idea for the woman in your life - Christmas surprise present - a set of marblled pegs; I wonder if any body else has thought of that. Now to look up borax.

As above, all the demos I've watched online have included Borax in the mix for it to work well.

Back