Marble Table Tops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have four pieces of marble 600 mm x 300 mm x 22 mm. I have been asked to make some small tables, and for them to have the marble tops. Tables to be 770 mm high, Okay I could fix the tops direct or put them in a frame, my concern is these tops are heavy, and with such a small footprint how stable will they be. If they are going next to a wall it wont be to bad, but would hate them to be knocked over and hurt someone. The legs have to be straight, and I'm thinking they are not going to be very stable. The Idea of putting the marble in a frame it would give them a bit more depth.

Any thoughts welcome.

Many Thanks
Ken :wink:

powerhouse":279ph876 said:
Hey guys,
I have four pieces of marble 600 mm x 300 mm x 22 mm. I have been asked to make some small tables, and for them to have the marble tops. Tables to be 770 mm high, Okay I could fix the tops direct or put them in a frame, my concern is these tops are heavy, and with such a small footprint how stable will they be. If they are going next to a wall it wont be to bad, but would hate them to be knocked over and hurt someone. The legs have to be straight, and I'm thinking they are not going to be very stable. The Idea of putting the marble in a frame it would give them a bit more depth.

Any thoughts welcome.

Many Thanks
Ken :wink:
I think you've provided the answers to your own questions here Ken. The proposals look distinctly dodgy to me as the tables will be narrow, high and with heavy tops. I reckon on elfn'safety grounds you might be wise to point this out to the client and look for an alternative solution - Rob

I'm not sure how practical a frame would be. If you make it to fit perfectly, expect your customer to ring you up at some point in the future when he's been awakened by the loud gunshot crack of the frame giving up the struggle. You would have to leave a reveal around the marble which may or may not be practical depending on how the tables are used.

John

I agree with Rob.

The only marble topped tables I can think of are little round ones in pubs and cafes, and they have a cast iron frame, with plenty of weight near the floor and feet extending beyond the table top.

To use the old Blue Peter saying, this is one I made earlier, much earlier about 20 odd years back. Not marble but Delabole slate from Cornwall. The frame ends are English elm (that dates it for a start!) as are the rails. The rails are in 2 pieces with the inner set down to form the ledge for the slate to sit on. The rails are dowled into the ends. No problems with anything letting go in that time and it is totally stable. The slate is 30 X 15" and the table is 16" high.

IMG_4512.jpg

I have to takeit across to my workshop some time for some TLC :oops:

Back