makita ls1018

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malky boi

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a makita ls1018? I got one of these last week from axminster and don't know whether i am being picky!

When the blade slows down, at the last 2/3 revs the blade moves from side to side almost as if there is a wobble washer in in it, it's not much but clearly visible. The sliding carriage is rough, at least compared to my old Dewalt. But the main thing that bothers me is on starting it seems to vibrate and makes a bit of a clatter for the first second or so. My spindle moulder had a similar starting problem which turned out to be an electric brake problem.

This is all happening straight out of the box. It's made a few straight cuts on some 3 x 2 but nothing else.

The axminster tech guy says the clattering on start up is because it's not soft start (my old DW did'nt have soft start and did not make that noise or vibrate).
He also said "some saws just need to settle in" or words to that effect.

Any thoughts??

M

I have the next one down in the range. Blade runs square at all times. Sliding mechanism is solid and very smooth, I don't have soft start either, and it sort of 'crashes! Into life, certainly doesn't, start the way yours does. Can!t think what sort of things would need to settle down for it to work decent.

I!d send it back.

Axminster won't take it back, no refund, no exchange. They say it has to go to Makita to be assessed. its not a week old yet!!Done about 9 minutes work.

Have a look at the consumer rights act, you are within the 30 day reject period, and Can gat a full refund. ... Providing saw is not of merchantable quality etc etc., I guess that is why they want makita to look at it. Issue is that you have something your not happy with, and they have your money. Are they getting a makita rep round to your place to look at it?

As the supplier Axminster are legally obliged to correct the fault as the item is currently not fit for purpose as described under the Consumers Rights Act 2015. This superceded the sale of goods act. there is a link below, but it specifically states that it is the responsibility of the retailler to make good any faults or replace

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... -goods-act

hth

Axminster tried that with someone else here recently on a Bosch something I think, he stood his ground and rang back - they caved immediately.

I have the same machine and can report none of these issues. I needed to adjust the laser but other than that it was spot on out of the box. You have a duff one. Talk of "settling in" is just nonsense, please don't accept it. The LS1018 is a really good tool and you should not be experiencing any of the issues you have described. The only thing I can think of that you might be able to do to help with one or two of the symptoms is to check that the nut is tightened properly (remember it's a left handed thread) and that the flanges on the arbour are installed correctly and with no grit or other detritus interfering with the fit.

I have the makita 1801 table mounted. No vibration at any time even with 50mm wide cutter.

Call axminster again, its their responsibility.

A good trick in this kind of circumstance is to immediately ask for the persons name. Then tell them you want their supervisor. DONT deal with the first line, Then when the supervisor is on, tell the supervisor you want their managers name before dealing with them as you will go higher if you dont get what you want.

One thought, are you dealing with your local store? Dont. Go direct to Axminster head office in Devon.

Back