Making your own Dominos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Giff":6exfirbk said:
I have just got mine Brian so I will find out soon...I have the assorted box and suspect I will end up with lots of the ones I never use...I bit like chocolates at Christmas.!. Geoff
I hope you have a thicknesser Geoff, making them works out a lot less, I leave them in long lengths and cut to size as required.

As a dark chocolate man, I say eat now and be merry.

OPJ":3rruql60 said:
Good idea. Now all we need is a way to cut the slots without buying the tool!! :twisted: :wink:

Olly,

Design a jig for the router, and use the appropriate cutter! :D

I tried to devise one, but all the thinking and trial and error was pointless, when I have my biscuit-joiner. Maybe not as good as a Domino, but if I need something better than the BJ, then I use M&T or a slip tenon instead.

:)

I've had a go at making dominos and it really is quite easy once set up......and saves a lot especially the bigger ones....does anyone put grooves in them ? through the P/T and router they do come out very smooth..Giff

Giff":25h6ey7j said:
I've had a go at making dominos and it really is quite easy once set up......and saves a lot especially the bigger ones....does anyone put grooves in them ? through the P/T and router they do come out very smooth..Giff

I put mine in a metal vise jaw and that gives a nice pattern.

I don't have a Domino.. :( So what might I know? Well nothing I suppose :) , but when I make slip-tenon joints I use waterproof ply for the tenons, Especially for outside use. Would that help? If you used thicker ply than you need, you could remove the outer veneers, leaving the surface rough.

Just a thought. (The reason I have these thoughts is; one day I might buy a Domino, but the price of the 'biscuits' is a bit frightening!

HTH :D

Benchwayze":2ln3xim5 said:
I don't have a Domino.. :( So what might I know? Well nothing I suppose :) , but when I make slip-tenon joints I use waterproof ply for the tenons, Especially for outside use. Would that help? If you used thicker ply than you need, you could remove the outer veneers, leaving the surface rough.

Just a thought. (The reason I have these thoughts is; one day I might buy a Domino, but the price of the 'biscuits' is a bit frightening!

HTH :D

I use treated pine, which is both strong and will not rot if perchance it was to get wet.

Using a thicknesser it is easy to make to exact size required.

I follow you Brian.

I also have an old 1.25 inch chisel that has it's edge dubbed over. (The back is 'koufered'!) I think that would make a good tool for putting the pattern on a slip tenon, but as said a metalworking vice is a good idea. (Someone could make a 'waffle' type tool, especially for facing home made dominos, in a woodworking vice. :)
The Domino fund is gradually swelling BTW! :D

Benchwayze":3lfwviq7 said:
I follow you Brian.

I also have an old 1.25 inch chisel that has it's edge dubbed over. (The back is 'koufered'!) I think that would make a good tool for putting the pattern on a slip tenon, but as said a metalworking vice is a good idea. (Someone could make a 'waffle' type tool, especially for facing home made dominos, in a woodworking vice. :)
The Domino fund is gradually swelling BTW! :D
Go ahead with the waffle tool and just send a couple of million my way when it takes off. :D

Good ideas for putting a pattern / grooves on it. My vice is a bit too smooth but clamping a length of threaded rod in it works..thanks for the tips. Geoff

Just to add to this thread - I have been making my own dominoes for years - I've just been calling them mortice and tenons! :mrgreen:

Dodge":3eytzpyt said:
Just to add to this thread - I have been making my own dominoes for years - I've just been calling them mortise and tenons! :mrgreen:

That is wonderful and we hope it is not too long b4 you join us in the 21st century. :)

Brian Jackson":1bvnlt7i said:
Dodge":1bvnlt7i said:
Just to add to this thread - I have been making my own dominoes for years - I've just been calling them mortise and tenons! :mrgreen:

That is wonderful and we hope it is not too long b4 you join us in the 21st century. :)

May be in the future, still unsure about all this black magic and festool voodoo :lol: :lol:

TBH it's the price that delayed my acquisition of a Domino.

But of course, when I have finished all the jobs around the house for which a Domino is quick and easy, I could always sell it, and go back to hobby work just to pass the time. Woodworking by hand-tools! :D

Benchwayze":33tb0o1w said:
TBH it's the price that delayed my acquisition of a Domino.

But of course, when I have finished all the jobs around the house for which a Domino is quick and easy, I could always sell it, and go back to hobby work just to pass the time. Woodworking by hand-tools! :D

Once you enter the Voodoo regions, you will not go back.

Unless of course you prefer to walk rather than take the car.

They say walking is good for us... :D

I just can't envisage using a Domino for a piece such as my Hayrake Table, convenient though the machine might be. :)

Not for rake making, I thought you were a cabinetmaker, so quite right, this is not for the likes of you!

Benchwayze":1sf4e1kr said:
Brian Jackson":1sf4e1kr said:
Not for rake making, I thought you were a cabinetmaker,

So I shouldn't make tables then? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you will find it far to difficult to rake the floor with a table, so no. :)

Latest posts

Back