making cornice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speed

Established Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any plans or designs of cornice that i can build in parts on the router table?

ive got a selection of cutters but i cant figure out anything that looks decent.

im making "country" style kitchen cupboards and need about 3m of cornice. i planned on using 3 0r 4 18mm mdf layers

What cutters do you have? You could draw out the profiles you have onto 3 or 4 pieces of card and play around with them until you find a combo that pleases you.
I've used combinations of cove and ogee in the past.
S

i have the usuall selection of cutters, i tried a few combo but they dont look right to me,

the one i like the most is ogee then cove then 9mm round over but im not sure….

Design of mouldings that look right is quite hard. Quite subtle changes to a curve or angle can make a big difference. I suggest you look around a showroom that has the sort of thing you like and have a good hard look at the mouldings on it. For proper period mouldings drawn full size there are books such as this one, available to read online or download:

http://archive.org/details/furnituremouldin00warnuoft

Also, if you do a search on Internet Archive texts for "moulding" or "molding" you will also find quite a few old catalogues of commercial readymade sections, some of which you could probably match with your router.

The ogee formed by the bottom two look fine, the top piece doesn't look right to me. It should be a proper bullnose or a roundover on the bottom edge.
All IMHO of course.
S

it looks ok when its above head height, i did try a full round over but looking up at it, it looked short/thin and a square edge looked too flat.

i will take pics next week when its fitted to the kitchen im building :)

Back