Making a ring from a coin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
You know the way that YouTube suggests videos you might like, based on those you have watched? Well, recently something popped up as a suggestion that was about 'making a ring from a coin.' Intrigued, I watched a couple of videos. No link, as it doesn't really matter, and there seem to be lots of videos to choose from.

Anyhow, I was interested to see a reminder that you really can hammer at metal and change its shape significantly. Of course, I knew in the abstract that it was possible - metals are malleable, right - but since I mostly work in wood, I thought I'd have a go. It's really simple, and I think more people might like it.

I used an old pre-euro French Frank

IMG_4551_zpsgzfkp5om.jpg

The technique is simply to stand it on its edge, on some sort of anvil, and tap it all round with a hammer.

You don't need a proper anvil - I used an 'anvil-shaped-object' I was tempted by when I used to bother looking at Rutlands' special offers - but any lump of metal would do. A small hammer is good, and I suggest cleaning the face with some emery if it needs it.

IMG_4550_zpstybsthxq.jpg

No video here, so either imagine the simple technique of holding the coin in your fingertips and rolling it a little after each tap of the hammer, or go to YouTube.

After a few minutes, the edge of the coin starts to spread out

IMG_4553_zpsil9mwcpj.jpg

Just carry on until it's wide enough for the ring you want.

IMG_4554_zpshrqax8z5.jpg

The video I watched showed drilling a big hole in the middle, then grinding it out wider with a small stone in a Dremel. I decided instead to saw out the centre with a piercing saw:

IMG_4555_zpswqztc94x.jpg

IMG_4556_zpserwfw9yc.jpg

IMG_4557_zpssw8gcnuu.jpg

In retrospect, I should have taken more care to make the hole a neat circle, but it was fairly easy to tidy it up with a small half-round file.

The next stage was to hammer the roundness a bit more, inside as well as out. I cut a couple of notches in some scrap wood, held it in the vice, and used a large twist drill as a mandrel, tap, rotate, tap, repeat.

IMG_4558_zpsbwpxvmot.jpg

I also used a bit of steel tube, which was better than the drill bit as I didn't need to beware of the spirals.

IMG_4561_zpslarziadj.jpg

If you had something tapered, you could enlarge the ring at this stage. Maybe a drill or arbour with a No2 Morse taper on would be good, but I don't have one. Or you can get a ring mandrel on ebay for a few quid.

The result is shown here:

IMG_4562_zpsankzfdsv.jpg

It's a bit scruffy, and a bit plain - but there are loads of things you could do to embellish it. For me, the point of the experiment wasn't to make a piece of fine jewellery but to explore just how easy it is to deform the metal by gentle hammering.

I'm sure everyone will have a few old non-ferrous coins lying around which could be used in the same way. So why not have a go - it doesn't take long or need special tools.

I'd like an anvil Andy, I scour car boots knowing full well one will never turn up due to the weight.

Ho hum. Nice ring.

Wuffles - it's only a 5kg miniature and was under £12. But almost any bit of steel would do. A lump-hammer hld in the vice would be ok, or the little anvil at the back of an engineering vice.

Nick - no heat treatment at all, and I didn't detect any work hardening effect. I assume the metal is cupro-nickel.

AndyT":1tqvfrmm said:
Wuffles - it's only a 5kg miniature and was under £12. But almost any bit of steel would do. A lump-hammer hld in the vice would be ok, or the little anvil at the back of an engineering vice.

I use the back of my vice now, but it's "precious" to me, like your ring..."precious". I have seen a few larger ones, but they fetch big money, not even that large really. I'll keep looking, but ta.

This joke falls right on its ar5e if you are unfamiliar with Hobbits.

Wuffles":1ml52tgp said:
AndyT":1ml52tgp said:

I use the back of my vice now, but it's "precious" to me, like your ring..."precious". I have seen a few larger ones, but they fetch big money, not even that large really. I'll keep looking, but ta.

This joke falls right on its ar5e if you are unfamiliar with Hobbits.

I'll check what I've got in my pocketses! :lol:

Brings back memories! My dad showed me how to do this 40 years ago. He would get a silver two shilling coin, ideally one related to the birthday of the intended recipient, and then with careful hammering you could form it so the writing ended up on the inside of the ring. We used to centre punch the doing first, then drill it out and file to fit rathe than cut with a fret saw. If you hammer carefully you can get a perfectly round ring.

phil.p":n1i853fw said:
Which was, of course, illegal then ...

Not illegal, you can use any coins you like to make jewellery etc. You are using the coins to create something worth more than face value. Illegality comes into it when you are purposely destroying coins in order to remove them from circulation and lessen the value, i.e. melting them for scrap.

AndyT":2b2rcntu said:

I've used a 14Lb sledge hammer head for this purpose for years. I mirror polished one face for finer work, and left the other rough.

Buying tip - for some reason heads with bits of broken handles in sell for much less than "clean" heads.

I don't know why, since removing a head is quick and easy.

BugBear

I think it was more to do with the queens (or kings) head and defacement of that rather than the monetary value. I didn't know it had been repealed. Is it not illegal to deface the queens head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":2uakmpw8 said:
I think it was more to do with the queens (or kings) head and defacement of that rather than the monetary value. I didn't know it had been repealed. Is it not illegal to deface the queens head?

I guess you've not noticed those coin mangling machines at Zoos, piers and places like that. Nobody would blame you for filtering them out, but they did make me think when I first saw them.

Just been looking and I believe that they are illegal and so is breaking down any metal coin. The coinage act of 1971 is still law.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/24/section/10

If you look at the top it is up to date as of yesterday. I think the wiki entry must be wrong.

Just because there are machines that bend coins doesn't mean they're not illegal. I'm sure we all do things that are technically illegal on a daily basis. Aren't we all supposed to carry long bows?

There is also the ability to have a licence granted to enable you to melt or breakdown a coin, so possibly the seaside coin binders have a licence.

DiscoStu":1r4c7skw said:
Just been looking and I believe that they are illegal and so is breaking down any metal coin. The coinage act of 1971 is still law.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/24/section/10

If you look at the top it is up to date as of yesterday. I think the wiki entry must be wrong.

Just because there are machines that bend coins doesn't mean they're not illegal. I'm sure we all do things that are technically illegal on a daily basis. Aren't we all supposed to carry long bows?

There is also the ability to have a licence granted to enable you to melt or breakdown a coin, so possibly the seaside coin binders have a licence.

Would explain why they cost so much - licensing fee :)

Ba da bum, tsh.

No. If you go to an amusement park and happen to see one of the coin presses that you put in usually a 50p and a 1p, you can get the 1p back enlarged and embossed with an eagle, mermaid, the name of the place or whatever, the machine will probably have a plate on it giving the information and the date of the repeal of the law that forbade it ( I think it's 1982, but am probably wrong) - it's obviously a question that crops up frequently. As an aside - I'd have thought a signature across a stamp (stamp duty) or indeed a post mark was defacing the queens head?

bugbear":2rtv4sgp said:
AndyT":2rtv4sgp said:

I've used a 14Lb sledge hammer head for this purpose for years. I mirror polished one face for finer work, and left the other rough.

Buying tip - for some reason heads with bits of broken handles in sell for much less than "clean" heads.

I don't know why, since removing a head is quick and easy.

BugBear

Totally unrelated (but people are mentioning lbs and it reminded me), but I actually managed to walk away from a reclamation yard financially unscathed and with exactly what I wanted on Wednesday.

A 56lb Avery weight for a tenner and I was happy with that. In fact, he caught me unawares when he said "I dunno, a tenner?".

I intend to use it as a welding and woodworking weight.

phil.p":3vfdcr8f said:
No. If you go to an amusement park and happen to see one of the coin presses that you put in usually a 50p and a 1p, you can get the 1p back enlarged and embossed with an eagle, mermaid, the name of the place or whatever, the machine will probably have a plate on it giving the information and the date of the repeal of the law that forbade it ( I think it's 1982, but am probably wrong) - it's obviously a question that crops up frequently. As an aside - I'd have thought a signature across a stamp (stamp duty) or indeed a post mark was defacing the queens head?

50p?! The micro-inflation zone of Bristol Zoo strikes again.

Coin press, much better word than mangler, in fact, that probably throws something up in Google, mangler didn't give me much.

Latest posts

Back