Making a bookcase out of 18mm plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanSpaceman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

We have some unused space at the top of the stairs here and I was thinking about making a bookcase to fill the space. It would be 130cm wide and 20cm deep, and extend from floor to ceiling. I would fix it to the plasterboard wall so it would not need to be a free standing one.

Does the font of knowledge on this forum think that 18mm hardwood ply would bow over that distance; will it need bracing? I wasn't planning to put a back on it, but I could use some thin ply (4mm?) if it was desirable to do so. Only planning to put books on it, but 130cm's worth of book would probably weigh a fair amount.

Ready for advice on this, I'm only a beginner!

Mark

Thanks, I used that and with a load of 30lb (the default, and I guess about right for books) is says a sag of 0.0cm :)

Maybe I could use an 2x1 as a batten against the wall and lay the plywood on that.

Hang the case on French cleats.

I'd use 25 mm stuff myself. It wouldn't cost a lot more, and it won't be so susceptible to sag.
With ply, some moulding work on the edges would hide the laminations to an extent. (Centre-bead looks nice on bookshelves.)
You might find solid PAR pine would be cheaper in that thickness. Looks better and paints well too, if you don't fancy the 'pine look'.

HTH

Baldhead":32hsc168 said:
Benchwayze what is centre bead?

Baldhead

I can't draw on the PC, so :

A raised bead and double-quirk along the centre of the edge,
You can use a suitable staff-bead cutter, to produce it,

Or, similar to the cutter I use,

http://www.tooled-up.com/product/trend- ... rce=affwin

You might have another name for the resulting moulding.
HTH :)

UrbanSpaceman":1a0xh9k8 said:
Hi all,

Does the font of knowledge on this forum think that 18mm hardwood ply would bow over that distance; will it need bracing? Mark
Your bookshelves will definitely bow if supported only at each end. Typically, a bookshelf carries 25 lb per linear foot, or about 11 kg per linear 300 mm. Large format books weigh more. In any case, you'll need some sort of intermediate bracing or additional support to reduce (not prevent) sag caused by creep deformation (relating to flexure formulae and the like, including duration of load, in pure bending [beam theory]). Over the length you've described you should allow for a load of about 108 lbs or 48 kg per shelf.

As others have suggested, and assuming the shelves will definitely carry books, rather than a few lightweight ornaments, incorporate bracing of some sort to prevent visible sagging. A sag of less than 3 mm over a 900 mm length is readily visible to the eye. Slainte.

If you wanted to brace the shelves, but think that wood may be too thick, how about using a piece of aluminium / steel angle underneath the back edge of the shelf.

Being at the back it should give some support and disappear behind the books.

Back