Maker's mark registration?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stiggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I did a search on the forum but couldn't find anything on this subject.

I use the same marking on my items to show they are mine. Is there a way of registering the mark as mine to safeguard the items I make?

I suppose you could register it as a formal trademark. Depends if you're wanting to part with some cash or not.

I put a pattern on the bottom of each piece I make. I'm looking at having some inserts made so people know it's my work, but for now my hand made mark will have to suffice.

Was just about to post Andy's link. It's interesting they only last 10 years. I wonder if there's a first option to retain your mark prior to it going up for 'retender' for want of a better word.

Ta Andy - I was looking online for ages - don't know why I didn't find this!

What are you making? You may not want to put it on a public forum, but how much money do you make from making it? It may cost a feew hundred pounds to register your trade mark, but you could spend a lot more defending it if somebody chose to just use it.

If, for instance you were to have an engraved brass plate made and put it on each piece, then whilst I could go and buy the same, it would take considerably more effort to do so.

If you are producing large numbers of items, it may be worth it. If not, probably not...

Have to say like Marcros I like the idea but I wonder if it's feasible. Just not sure the world works like that anymore. As a branding thing or a mark of distinction then yes, as a legal trademark I'm not sure it's a logical step. The line from a Makers Mark to a Trade Mark was crossed many years ago I think. If you are Tiffanys then yeh, if you're making perhaps an item of furniture let's say of undeniable distinction the lines become a little blurred. I like the idea but I'm not sure its practicable or worth the cost. Just my two pennorth. Maybe a stamp would be a better description?

Chris

Yeah you're probably right - I guess I'll just use the mark and be humbled if anyone uses it.

:D

Just my opinion Stiggy. :wink: Not saying I'm right mate. What do I know. It's a shame we live in a world run by administrators and ambulance chasers. When exactly did it happen? Uniformity everywhere you look. It's a crying shame. I read a headline today, 'crimestoppers refuse payout to woman who called the police rather than crimestoppers' obviously. She missed out on a 20 000 pound reward because she led the police to some nutjob who had cut peoples eyes out after he murdered them. To be fair the woman was not to blame but the newspaper (Metro) spin on it was not she was a hero as maybe she should have been cited but that if she'd phoned the TV programme not 999 she could have cashed in. Maybe it's me. It depresses me.

I just hope your marking abilities are better than your selfie taking ones :roll: :eek:

Droogs":3rt4z3kr said:
I just hope your marking abilities are better than your selfie taking ones :roll: :eek:

LOL! Pee off - it's 'artistic'!

BM101 - no it's not you, it's the world we live in where common sense, decency and honour seem to be things that sadly lacking these days.

Anyway, I'm going to use my mark, which I call the 'Davey Dimple' on all my main stuff ffrom now on.

(hammer)

Back