Mahogany

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidgeonpost

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm getting towards the end of making a blanket box from mahogany and am now thinking about which finish to use.
The timber is of more than one variety by the look of it, with some pieces already reddish-brown and well figured, and others varying through to a light almost pink colour. I've rubbed it down by hand from 180 to 400 grit, and the finish looks good.
I've read some of the info in this forum, and opinion seems to vary from French polish at one end of the spectrum, polyurethane varnish at the other, and everything else in between!
I'm keen to avoid a finish that is too close to the red end of the spectrum, and would prefer something closer to walnut in colour.
Bearing in mind that the box will be used as a seat, and will probably get a few knocks, I kind of ruled out French polish, which I also have no experience of.
I was wondering about a spirit-based stain followed by an appropriate number of coats of Danish oil, then a wax polish.
Any thoughts please folks??

I would go for wax,rather than oil,if it is to be used as a seat.
Have you considered acrylic lacquer ? Easy to apply,and hard-wearing.

Andrew

wash it down first with water, [warm] then a dilute solution of van dyke crystals, re do to get your desired tone, then de nib and seal with a diluted sealer of one's choice [ best imho is Morrels/Jenkins sanding sealers] then de nib again and apply BLO or Danish oil.

have fun polishing/finishing is a headache even for Pro makers :D don't understand this as I find it dead easy.

HS

...thanks for the info on the finishes folks.
No, Andrew I haven't thought of acrylic lacquer. I'll have a Google for it and see what I can find out. I'm probably wrong, but it conjures up images of super-shiny polyurethane varnish. Maybe they come in a variety of finishes??
HS - Van Dyke crystals sounds like you can adjust the depth of colour by the dilution you use and maybe the number of coats - that right? Again, maybe I can Google for more info.
I managed to get the chest cramped up today - a race against time given the 24 joints and limited number of cramps. Had to use the dining room table as not enough room in the workshop (12' x 8') for a bench I can walk around. Maybe one day...

thanks again...

all brown mahogany stains have a green tint to kill the red. you could use spirit stain but if wiping on a finish i would use maybe water based as spirit stain can wipe off. van dyke is a good stain but needs a little experience to avoid streaks.

Back