Mahogany table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judith

Reaction score
I have a nice old extending table. I think its Mahogany but I have been told it could be walnut. I have stripped the table and the centre leaf has come up very dark. When I originally bought the table all three leaves were about the same (honey) colour. What should I (can I) do to make the surface match? I've read all the posts about bleaching and button polish but I'm really stuck. I want to retain the lighter honey colour I like and get rid of the dark colour on the center leaf, which I suspect may not be original to the table or might be of a different wood. Help would be appreciated.

Hi judith
It sound like it could be walnut and the top has bleached with the sun but without a picture it is hard to tell :)
A lot of people get Mahogany and walnut mixed up as thegrain is almost the same unless you have worked with it abit
To try and get the colour back, you might want to try Oxalic acid first, it can be bought already mixed or got to a polish supplyer and get the powder to mix the hot water.
Just make sure you use gloves and one way to put it on is to use a brush.
If you let us know where in the country you are we can point you as to where to get it :)
I hope thats a start in the right direction

Thats really interesting about the Oxalic acid Colin.

I don't doubt you at all (I know restoring is your bag) but I don't understand how a bleach (which I thought Oxalic was to all intents and purposes :oops: ) brings the colour back.

Can you explain a bit more please?

Cheers

Tim

If what I think has happen to the table is right :-k .
The bleach should do to the table what the sun has done over years , this is to bleach the colour of the wood and make it lighter but it might need some stain or (and ) polish to bring it back to the colour of the rest of the table.
Some times it can just be a case of bleaching but most of the time some stain has to be used after.
I hope that is clearer :)

Okay I understand now I think. You mean use the Oxalic to lighten the middle leaf?

I thought you meant to use it to bring the colour back to the lightened end leaves - thats what confused me :roll:
Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back