Mahogany Table - What finish ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramers

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all, first post in this area, i am just finishing a mahogany table, from the best mahogany i have ever seen, (it is 60 years old in its sawn state, it was a whole tree air dried for 10 years then just sat in someones garage for another 50 years, then they died and you know the rest).

i rwaly have made a nice job of this table and it could be my nicest peice yet and dont want to reuin it with a bad amature job.

i am going to stain it with a sikkins bl decor mahogany and am unsure what to do, shall i put a sanding sealer on or :?:

then what to put over the top, i want a satin finish but there is to much choise, i almost settled on the sikkins bl unitop but then was told sadolin, rustins and all the rest are very good, i want somthing that is quick drying and non yellowing that does not leave brush marks. (i will be using purdys if it helps).

cheers guys sorry to be a pain.

bramers

argggggggghhhhhhhhhhh stain it NO NO NO NO do not try that.

If it really is from the end of the 50's then it would be the REAL thing , so personally I would give it a mild wash with VAN DYKE crystals, this will give a reaaaly good tone to the mahog, then a sanding sealer, cut back then-

Now depending on how good our polishing skills are I would then fad up the top , otherwise if you doubt your skills - use a neutral coloured grain filler to fill the grain, then follow that with a "modified French polish" this is a slightly harder polish which has a better heat/ alcohol resistence.

Spirit off, and let it rest, to alter the high shine from the last treatment you could then dull down with rotten stone pwder and a boot brush or wax on with 4x0 wirewool and loads of elbow grease and a good rag buff up to a really nice warm mellow sshine.

there I had my rant all yours people :)

ps here is a link for VDC's http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/tecAniline.html

Hi Bramers

Hear what Houtslager has to say.

2"nd. that all the way!!

Regards
Norman

Back