Mahogany but it wasn't

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
For the last three days or so I have been waiting to receive 2 matching old and worn Mahogany sideboards from a person on freecycle, they categoricaly assured me it was solid genuine mahogany and the sideboards had been in the family for donkeys years but where both broken. I sat salivating at the thought of ripping the tops down for a nice jewelry box and cabinet for the missus, I planned it all up and got the fittings and then last night a friend bought them over for me.

They were 6' long mahogany sideboards all right...................

only some pillock cant tell solid wood from laminated chipboard.

Oh well, there goes the dream.
:cry:

I was just cleaning my grandmothers garden shed out and there was a heap of wood in the corner, it WAS a large dressing table made from Cuban Mahogany (circa 1880)with oak drawer sides ,backs and bottoms,even the back was 3/16" solid oak,joined into two large boards.No plywood at all and put together totally from joints and animal glue,i counted 72 glue blocks (all mahogany).Just have to decide what to make with it all now. :D

I've got a similar problem Bob. When I retired at first I wondered if I would find sufficient wood working jobs to keep me occupied and whether I could obtain the timber.
Now my problem is what to make with some of beautiful timbers I've collected.

Roy.

Uh huh, thats it, you just gang up on momo and rub salt into it, feel free.

You know who your mates are round here don't you !! :lol: .

Just to add to the salt momo. One chap left me just after Easter with a vacuum pump, a 9 inch circular saw, a shop air filter and a heavy duty tripod to make a take off stand all FOC from our re-cycling centre. Another left recently with a load of spalted Beech and another forum member is coming from your area later to collect some stuff as well.
I salvage the stuff 'cos I hate to see it wasted but I don't live anywhere near you unfortunately.

Roy.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

xmas list.
erm yeah, can't think, anyone got a toilet roll, need to write my list out...

lemme see, oh yeah, well I did need a thicknesser, but thats sorted now,thanks to that forum member who will remain secret till I get it, like my saw setter, so I need a cheapo lathe for legs etc and a scroll saw is about it, of course I would take any old tools no matter how rusty and unwanted because I am very much like you there, and hate to see useable stuff wasted, I wonder at some people who have to buy the best of the latest just to have it when what they have is perfectly useable, oh yeah I have to get a curved spokeshave that actually works. Of course I would like to have larger capacity on my band saw but I have one so i can at least do a few things which is good enough.

My biggest problem is that the tools I want or find cheap enough are usually from axminster and I cant get to them, I wont send large postal orders and I only have one of them pre pay mastercards which hit you for charges everytime you load it or use it, so I never am able to get things from axminster and end up buying second best at higher prices or close to it from either the bay or screwfix, which is a dissapointment, the thicknesser is a prime example, wanted a 10"one, axminster do one at £167. screw do a 8" one for near the same price, so why buy the 8 when you can have 10 at £2 more, as the advert says - size matters.

ah well. :lol: life is what it is.

Garry

Got two lathes here for disposal. One cheapo one not so, but the cost of collecting etc thanks to the fuel tax is ridiculous!

Roy.

fuel tax! don't go there, major rant time.

Hang the beggars, make em sit in the stocks, quarter em, drum them out of dodge, shoot the lot of them..... oops sorry guys just remembered where I am.....

gotta take some more prozac.

Where's Woolton Hill momo? I used to live in Eastbury and like where I am now a vehicle was essential. A fact that the green brigade seem to forget. During daylight we have a regular bus service, one every hour on the hour, and the return is one every hour on the half hour, so you either have 10 mins in town or 70 mins.
And the buses seem to be afraid of the dark as well!

Roy.

google.co.uk, click maps. It will show you, its amongst all the rich horsey people and solicitors etc.

I wondered why the solicitors here all walk with a funny limp. :lol: :lol:

momo":10do548s said:
Of course I would like to have larger capacity on my band saw but I have one so i can at least do a few things which is good enough.

Momo, you're certainly not alone here! There are many other members on this forum who buy something like a bandsaw and soon wish they'd bought something even bigger! :D

Is your bandsaw working okay now? Have you got the problems with the blades snapping sorted yet?

Hi OPJ, yeah I just didn't tension it so far, but it keeps moving cutting in a line other than straight now, but hey it works at least.

Do you mean that the blade isn't cutting in parallel to the fence?

Or, is the blade itself moving backwards and forwards or left to right while it's running?

I think the first is the best description, I stick a bit of timber through it and it wanders when cutting to the left a lot, I have to pull th etimber back and then re run it through.

I know, Im being naughty aren't I, your going to tell me I am doing something seriously wrong I can just feel it. :lol:

Actually, I'm going to try and help you! :twisted:

Have you got any scraps of MDF or ply, roughly the same length as your bandsaw's table? What you need to do is to scribe a pencil line parallel to one straight edge on the MDF and follow it on the bandsaw - freehand, without using the fence - as best as you can.

Once you get about halfway, stop, clamp the board in position (or draw a pencil line against the straight edge) and you should now be able to adjust your fence somehow to line up with the MDF! :D

Hope that makes sense. The adjustment bolts for the fence are probably gonna be underneath it somewhere. :wink:

momo":ark6yecp said:
google.co.uk, click maps. It will show you, its amongst all the rich horsey people and solicitors etc.

I wondered why the solicitors here all walk with a funny limp. :lol: :lol:

Just a thought Momo.
If you did some bartering with the local solicitors - a bit of woodwork in exchange for some stiff letters to your neighbour.

Swap your skills for some of theirs!

Bob

I stay as far away from solicitors as possible, funnily enough I lived in henley on thames for years, and my daughter made friends with ones wife, he got done for embezzlement !!, says a lot, mind you he wasn't guilty in the strictest sense, he did what all the partners did, put clients money into an account on house sales etc and kept the interest, the partners blamed him he got it in the neck. Personaly I dont see why its illegal.

Back