Low frame bed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vala

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm building a king size low bed frame. From the ground it rests on 6x100mm feet (3 on each of the long lengths). I have a centre rail and then 1450mm slats across.
Would I be ok with using a paslode (and maybe some glue) to secure the slats? Or should I screw these down?

Oh....Merry Christmas everyone :ho2

Commercial beds, in my experience, have the slats loose, maybe resting on something to stop any noise. (I've used draught proofing strip.) A couple of strips of canvas look after the spacing.

If you fix them down you make it much harder to dismantle the bed so it can be moved.

So if you decide that they need fixing, use screws.

Thanks for the responses. Am I right in assuming then that it's only for ease of removal that the slats be left loose?

If the slats are solid wood, sometimes they warp, (especially if they're wide) so fixing them down helps a bit with this.

The commercial beds we sell often have the slats trapped in a rebate under a thin piece of Mdf which is screwed down in 5 or 6 places along the length of the bed rail.

Happy Christmas everyone!

Slats are made from redwood pine, and are 44x19mm.
Aside from the slats would it be wise to apply an oil to the Iroko? If so what would be recommended?

mseries":77l2ureg said:
AndyT":77l2ureg said:
...(I've used draught proofing strip.).....

Can you be a bit more specific ? What is 'draught proofing strip' ? Can anyone give me a link to it ?

I just meant the sort of self adhesive rubber strip (actually EPDM I think) that you buy in a hardware shop to draughtproof doors or windows. Round section or like a letter E or P. Probably not really necessary especially if you have a heavy mattress!

Latest posts

Back