Low Angle smoothing planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about the Veritas bevel up smoother? Fair bit more weight than the low angle smoother and a wee bit wider... Is that a low angle take on the 4 1/2?

Thanks guys.

I am really quite impressed by the response to my first post on UKW. Keep up the good work all of you.

Anyway on the basis that we all have to learn by our mistakes (or this was a really good decision) I have ordered a LV BU smoother.

I agree with the comments about the quality of LN planes in general, although LV products are not far behind.

I owned a Clifton 51/2 followed by a LN 51/2. The latter being the better made if not being quite so comfortable after a long time as the UK made item.

I will report back later as to what happened, that is of course if any body out there is interested?

Tony":cy628kug said:
mjh":cy628kug said:
How good are low angle/bevel up smoothing planes? Both LN and LV offer them. I seem to recall that the famous "Alf" rates them.

However, with a bevel up smoother, the LV is superior to the LN due to its weight.
...Bevel up smoothers are really just large block planes...
Tony - true, I think that there's something in that argument except that on a small block plane (generally intended for end grain work) the honing angles ought to be less. My LV BU is honed at 38deg (EP then of 50deg) whilst my block planes are much less, probably around 40deg EP, remembering of course that a slightly higher honing angle is recommended for A2 steel. As always though, everyone's got a different opinion and we all need to use the tools that we feel most comfortable with and that give's us the results we want - Rob

mjh":28050bvm said:
I have ordered a LV BU smoother.

I will report back later as to what happened, that is of course if any body out there is interested?

I'd be interested to see how you get on with the BU smoother, I think you'll be impressed - Rob

PaulO":1esx9dw4 said:
Other than a lower CG I'm not really sure what a BU achieves that can't be achieved with a BD.

Easily variable EP, and less vibration transmitted to the bedding.

BugBear

The Veritas bevel up smoother duly arrived from Axminster (who incidentally give exceptional service).
I also ordered the 25° iron as well as the "standard" 38° iron.
I figured the former for end grain the latter for long grain.

How did I get on, I hear you say?

Well, guys you forgot to tell me how hard end grain maple is to plane. I am using 22mm board with large half blind dovetail pins as a result of a rush of artistic blood to the head with my Leigh D4R jig (but that's another story).

One of the contributors to this string said he found his trusty 5.5 was the best tool for the job and so it proved with myself. The little Stanley 50.5 also gave a reasonable account of itself.

Perhaps I did not get the final hone of the 25° blade spot on. I certainly struggled to get a decent curve to the blade with a Veritas Mk2 sharpening jig and cambered roller. Strangely the 38° blade sharpened up just fine.

With either blade the end grain was just hard work.

However when I used the Veritas BU smoother for long grain with the 50° pitch it went like a dream against long grain like no other plane I have used before. Somebody else mentioned in a review that it seems to "stick" to the surface. Bit like slip gauges wringing together.
Not the same feel as the 5.5 with a very sharp blade. More like something that was able to generate a truly flat plane surface. It also seems to me to have a strange ability to stear round things that you do not want to touch with a plane blade

It is excellent for removing tear out in the grain of the maple, which I seemed to attract a lot of in the final cut on the thicknesser.

Any comments from the "wise heads"?

Tony":1ua07epj said:
I have the LV and had the LN. Generally, my preference is for LN planes over LV as they are beteer finished and use higher quality materials in places.

However, with a bevel up smoother, the LV is superior to the LN due to its weight. I sold my LN as it iwas too liught and 'skittish'

Tony - I think the OP is asking about the Veritas BU smoother - not the LV LA smooth plane. When you say both LN and LV make one and you have both - LN only do a version of the latter LV plane. So do you have the BU smoother or the LA smooth plane. If the latter then you're probably not comparing like with like when you compare it against the LN 4.5?

It's very confusing having two planes with such similar names and features!

Cheers

Gidon

Latest posts

Back