Looking for new lathe. Suggestions? (Bowls, goblets)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YouSpinMeRightRound

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been doing a fair bit of woodturning lately and have outgrown my lathe - it has a 4-prong drive centre and live centre on the tailstock, making it unsuitable for bowls and the like, which I'd love to have a go at. I've considered upgrading the lathe, but it's an unknown brand so I'd be buying an insert for a new chuck at my own risk.

At this point I think instead of buying a new chuck with possibly the wrong insert, I'd prefer to sell the old one and get something smaller and newer. Below, I describe what I do/don't want.

So, suggestions? I want to keep it under £500 (ideally £400), and:
A minimum of 8"-9" swing - I want to be able to turn bowls and goblets.
Chuck is essential. I'm open to the possibility of doing bowls and goblets on a screw chuck or faceplate, but I make spinning tops and wheels/axles for children's toys and think a chuck would make it much quicker and easier.
I don't need a huge amount of power - I'm not inclined to turn anything that big, 1/2hp has always been enough so far.
I don't care much for spindle work, so bed length isn't that important.
I don't mind having to change belts to adjust speed, the current one has that and it's not a big problem.

Taking a look at Axminster's website, I think all of JML1014* (£300), AH1218* (£250), AH1218VS* (£280) and AWSL* (£190) meet my requirements, and all leave enough money for a decent chuck and some jaws. Beyond that, I have no idea how I should choose between them (or if I should get something else) and what chuck/jaws to get.

Any assistance appreciated.

*These were linked. Apparently new users don't get to put urls in their posts. :(

Have a look at this and enough for some extra goodies.
Have a good look around as sometimes there are package deals to be had just come back if you find something and ask if it is OK

images

[-X

Dalboy, thanks for that.

Would it be an issue that the bed is made of steel tubing? Is 1/3hp enough for turning bowls, especially at the larger end of what will fit on that? (I think it will, but thought I'd better check)

It looks like both the Supernova and the G3 chuck packages have suitable jaws to get me started. Is there a reason to pay the extra for the supernova?

I notice that you ignore the Axminster lathes and jump straight to Record Power. You obviously have a preference for Record Power, but is that because they're particularly good, or is there something wrong with Axminster?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the pile of questions!

Wizard, am I understanding you correctly that I should steer clear of that particular lathe? I bet my current one is worse :D

"Wizard, am I understanding you correctly that I should steer clear of that particular lathe? I bet my current one is worse :D"
why is it a SIP :lol:

Well, it hasn't actually caused me or my loved ones injury, so I don't think it's a SIP.

It's 'made' (rebadged, more likely) by Karlcraft, bed is a pair of thin walled steel tubes bolted on to the motor housing. Flexes when you bring the tailstock in (perhaps a little tighter than I should, but it still shouldn't flex!).

YouSpinMeRightRound":1ktekvc6 said:
Dalboy, thanks for that.

Would it be an issue that the bed is made of steel tubing? Is 1/3hp enough for turning bowls, especially at the larger end of what will fit on that? (I think it will, but thought I'd better check)

It looks like both the Supernova and the G3 chuck packages have suitable jaws to get me started. Is there a reason to pay the extra for the supernova?

I notice that you ignore the Axminster lathes and jump straight to Record Power. You obviously have a preference for Record Power, but is that because they're particularly good, or is there something wrong with Axminster?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the pile of questions!

Wizard, am I understanding you correctly that I should steer clear of that particular lathe? I bet my current one is worse :D

Axminster are good it was just that it was a package that I had seen on one of their fliers which was posted and arrived today. Axminster are also good with their aftersales so worth looking at.
The record one has solid steel bars.

If you want to turn large bowls then you should go for something with some weight to it at least, just for the stability factor, so solid bars as opposed to tubes, a cast iron bed is also good and heavy.

Rutlands have a good chuck offer on at the moment (see other thread). Can't really go wrong with Axminster or Record as a good entry level lathe. (I know you're not entry level, but your requirement is, more or less).

Would be good to try and find someone local to go and try. Most members here would be happy to let you have a go on their lathe.

Nick, thanks for that! Even with £15 delivery the Rutlands chuck is significantly cheaper than alternatives from RP or Axminster. Is it really a good alternative?

KimG, thanks for that - it turns out the RP lathe does have solid bars, I was just being daft.

Those Karlcraft lathes look very similar to the Aldi specialbuys ones. My first lathe was a Myford ML8, which suffered a similar issue with a lack in the swing department. I was looking at the Axi AWVSL range because they had a swivel head and an easily adjustable speed. In the end I got a too good to refuse deal on a used RP DML36SH. I have turned a bowl which ended up at 300mm diameter on it with no problems at all. RP say the limit is 300mm, but I think it would possibly manage a tad more. The blank was certain;y over 300mm when I started off. I don't turn long stuff often, but have done from time to time, so wanted to keep the length.
Shame you are so far away. You could have come round for a go at mine.

YouSpinMeRightRound":oa6g3106 said:
Nick, thanks for that! Even with £15 delivery the Rutlands chuck is significantly cheaper than alternatives from RP or Axminster. Is it really a good alternative?

It's perfectly good. There are other chucks with greater ranges of jaws etc or more spindle fittings, but witness some of the other postings in that thread, they seem happy with it. I don't have one as I have three others, a supernova, supernova2 and an older Bonham chuck with tommy bars (Only for reserve!). You can easily go overboard and convince yourself of all these goodies that are 'must have's'

Taz, yeah, I think any lathe made that large and cheaply will come out looking similar. I looked at the AWVSLs, very nice but too big at the moment. I'm moving house in 5 months and can't afford to restrict target houses any more than they already are, so it really has to be a benchtop model for now.

I'm currently inclined towards the AWSL (low end Axminster) with the Rutland chuck. Combined, they come in at £275 delivered. Granted, they aren't going to be the best tools in the world, but they don't seem to be lacking anything major (and coming in under budget is nice). Can anyone up-sell me? Persuade me I'll be regretting this in a month? The biggest issue I can see at the moment is the 9-1/2" swing which seems like I might occasionally wish for more, but shouldn't keep me up at night.

Edit: I can link to the products now!

Hi

If you're worried about the capacity over the bed I'd go for the Record Power package, (or just the lathe), - the DML18SH has a swivelling headstock which results in a 12" capacity.

I can vouch for the Dakota XT700 being good value in my opinion, I've owned one for years and it's results are indistinguishable from my more expensive chucks.

If you're not intent on upgrading in the near future I'd seriously consider the Rutlands XT750 chuck kit - plenty large enough for this lathe and anything you'll turn on it.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/pp+woodworkin ... -v5+c16201

Regards Mick

You've spotted the important question, Nick. Thanks!

It looks like the cheapest option that upgrades me to 12" bowls (or, for that matter, gives me any extra swing) would be the RP lathe that Dalboy suggested and the Rutland chuck, coming in at ... £415 delivered. So, £140 for the extra size. (Granted, the RP lathe comes with some nice tools, but I'm happy with my chisels at the moment).

Well, I think that's me decided. Thanks, everyone, for all the help!

Now to put up an ad for the old lathe...

YouSpinMeRightRound":2taljat5 said:
Can anyone up-sell me? Persuade me I'll be regretting this in a month? The biggest issue I can see at the moment is the 9-1/2" swing which seems like I might occasionally wish for more, but shouldn't keep me up at night.

The advice I was given was to go for the largest lathe that you can fit in/afford. I went for the equivalent of the http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... ning-lathe @ £340 it has a swivel headstock that allows you to turn bigger that the 300mm over the bed. It comes with a pressed steel stand, but can be bench mounted.
I had one for about 8 years with no problems and then sold it for what I paid for it.

The headstock slides so that you can turn smaller pieces towards the centre of the lathe bed - this may help to get the longer bed length in.

Axminster have Clubman chuck packages on clearance - not checked how much you save. http://www.axminster.co.uk/special-offers
Axminster Warrington have a promotion Event 4/5 April shop is about 15 miles from Liverpool ferry terminal if you happen to be visiting UK - sometimes they have discounts.

Brian

Thanks again for all the advice, everyone. In the end I went for the XT650 kit from Rutlands with the axminster AWSL. Sold the old lathe yesterday, ordered the new kit last night.

Nobody mentioned the time warping effect which makes it feel like I've been waiting forever...

Hi

That should be a capable combination - more than sufficient for your requirements.

You may be able to turn slightly larger bowls, (within the power capacity of the lathe), by fitting a faceplate to the outboard end of the spindle, which looks threaded in the manual.

Regards Mick

Back