looking for blanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinmacq

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking for blanks that are different from your usual rounds, burrs natural edges etc, does anyone have any good sources of these? im based on the isle of lewis in the far north west of scotland so cant just go to my local suplier as we dont have one. have been looking on ebay but nothing appearing. would like to get hold of some biggish natural edge yew.

I would normaly suggest finding a tree surgen and asking them for some wood as they are normaly a good source, but a quick google and it looks like you haven't got much in the way of trees on lewis. If pos try and find a friendly tree surgen next time you are on the main land and try and get some that way. Or try getting a friend to do the leg work for you and send it over.
Tom

How about a spot of beachcombing? Driftwood could be a good source of timber - maybe something exotic from across the Atlantic? Of course, bigger pieces might need to be cut up into manageable sizes in situ and it would be hard to identify before turning ( and maybe not even then). You would have to remove the salt and grit contamination by soaking or power washing before use.
There is a professional turner in the west of Scotland who uses driftwood extensively. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name, but I know he has a website. He sells the resultant pieces to top class outlets in London, so it is entirely possible, although I don't know what Lewis's beaches might have to offer in that respect.

Ian

Can't remember his name, but there was a guy on the west of the road some 8 miles south from Ullapool who had some interesting timber. But even Ullapool isn't that convenient for Lewis!

Hi, I have recently inherited a HUGE number of blanks. All dried and ready to use. I have just joined this forum to try and work out the best way of identifying and selling them.

Wow, that place has grow since last visit. But that probably was 15 years ago...................

Good to know there are some useful sources of timber up in the wild north.

Back