Long Time Missing from the forum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Brubaker

Established Member
Reaction score
Near the end of May this year I suffered what they called a mini heart attack. I guess if you have a heart attack & it doesn't kill you it is called a mini. Anyhow I was put through many tests including injection of dye followed by x-ray of the heart. The cardiologists decided they had no choice but to operate because if not it would only be a matter of time & another heart attack would probably kill me. The operation consisted of a triple by-pass, install of a aortic valve, & repair of a hole in the chamber wall. This was done July 31st. Apparantly the drugs used for the operation caused me to hallucinate . I have no memory whatever of the operation plus the week following the operation & Iam told my behavior was bizarre. In Sept. my Cardiologist ran what is called an Echocardiogram & found that my repaired heart was beating much stronger than they expected.....he called it "magic". Iam still on drugs & probably will be for the rest of my remaining life(I'm 83) but they do not have side effects so are not bothersome. I was very fortunate that the doctor who did the heart operation was very talented because there was a very good chance of my dying during the operation. I was able several months ago to have an appointment with him giving me the chance to thank him for giving me back my life. So there it is as to how come I have been "missing" from the forum.

Well....very glad you're back "young" man :) I have had numerous reasons to thank Doctors on behalf of my family of late so I know just what you mean by the miracles they work on a daily basis. My Uncle had a triple bypass when he was 50 and lived to 96 years old. He drank beer every day, though not to excess.

At last someone with a story that has a happy ending, it's nice to see your return, my MIL is 98, you still got years ahead of you.

The night before last I was watching '24 Hours In A&E' it amazes me just how clever doctors are these days, I agree with your cardiologist, from nurses to consultants (remembering ambulance staff too) there all magicians, without there help a lot of us wouldn't be around, me included.

Baldhead

Welcome back young man - my MIL had a quad bypass a few years ago (and a hip replacement) and she's now 94!
We are certainly living in a good historical period for "body repairs" - not long ago these problems would not be treatable?

This spring I was diagnosed and operated on for Bowel Cancer - thankfully in time as it had not spread!
Free wifi, a smartphone with Tapatalk and this Forum made life in the hospital so much more bearable :)

Hope you continue to make good progress.

Rod

We've never met but I offer you my hand in a " Virtual Handshake" =D>
Good health.

Welcome back and great to hear they have done an excellent sorting you out
Cheers
Brian
ps my MIL had same operation and like yourself had strange reaction to the drugs..... she used to see a big black dog in her ward and also thought my father in law had visited dressed as a magician complete with long purple coat lol

' Apparantly the drugs used for the operation caused me to hallucinate '

Don't knock it - people pay good money for that :)
Good to have you back

Brian

Claymore":1xhmj96p said:
Welcome back and great to hear they have done an excellent sorting you out
Cheers
Brian
ps my MIL had same operation and like yourself had strange reaction to the drugs..... she used to see a big black dog in her ward and also thought my father in law had visited dressed as a magician complete with long purple coat lol

Was his name Dumbledore by any chance?

Lee, how many below zero is it over there? It's many years since I strolled down Jasper Avenue, but I treasure the memories as one of the best trips of my life.

My profound empathy is extended to you; No1 child is S.V.T.- inclined, with attendant palpitations and blackouts - but is only in her twenties. We too, marvel at what can be done with modern medicine and minimally invasive techniques. I think it bears repetition that, in cardiac cases, it's not just the patient that is deeply affected, the whole family experiences a turbulent and anxiety-ridden time like little else in Life. So, my warmest wishes to yourself and your whole family, may you have a restful, recuperative and restorative Christmas.

Sam

Sorry to disappoint you Sam but we are having a mild spell with temps running around +6C all this week. You may recall that dispite the fact that Edmonton experiences winter every year Iam totally amazed by how inept they are in handling snow. You should see my residential street....unbelievable. We had a snow storm which dumped about a foot of snow on us. The City bladed the street and cleaned the windrows out of everyone's driveway. Next, the idiots spread de-icer turning the driving surface of the road into oatmeal consistency. Then they sent a guy around with a front end blade to tidy-up. This guy had no idea how to do the job & covered all the catch basins in the process. Along came the mild weather & with the catch basins covered & blocked off no place for the water to drain so of course the water passes thru the driveway openings & onto the sidewalks 2 to 4" deep which freezes at night into ice. There isn't a sidewalk on the street that is passable. To be able to walk at all you have to very carefully negotiate a huge pond of ice water at the front of the driveways to get to the bare roadway. A part of my heart therapy is to walk at least a mile every day & do it in 30 minutes. That pulls fluids out of the lungs and from around the heart. Anyhow I have to get in the car & drive to a shopping mall & do my walking there. Anyhow, I like Edmonton & during my working years was very good to me & the only reason I now kinda dread winter is pretty much due to the fact that I have seen so many of them LOL.

Lee

LOL indeed Lee! Sounds like your city officials are no better than ours here. I asked if a car abandoned in our service entry and blocking my garage door could be removed? They said "no", because it was on my property! I then offered to push it its own length, so that it was off my shallow access ramp and back on the concrete of the service road, whereupon they said they would take me to court for littering..... :?

Sam

SammyQ":2sytawzi said:
LOL indeed Lee! Sounds like your city officials are no better than ours here. I asked if a car abandoned in our service entry and blocking my garage door could be removed? They said "no", because it was on my property! I then offered to push it its own length, so that it was off my shallow access ramp and back on the concrete of the service road, whereupon they said they would take me to court for littering..... :?

Sam

That was your mistake, Sammy! Asking them. JFDI, my friend, JFDI

SammyQ":1czkemk8 said:

Sam

Wasn't Jim Rodgers you were talking too Sammy? : )

Back