Long hole boring.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbrains

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know of a supplier of a hollow tailstock centre for long hole boring with a 3/8in shell auger? I've had a 3/8 shell auger for years which I used with an independent hollow centre but I now have a different lathe with 2 MT and thought I'd get a hollow cup centre to suit. It seems I can't only find 5/16 ones even though Crown tools for one still make 3/8 shell augers. I know standard lamps are about as popular wet look perms, but still thought I'd be able to get the kit.

Mike.

Even table lamps need boring of course. I've had mine for so long I can't remember where it came from. In the absence of anything better, you could get an open ended 2mt - 1mt sleeve and get someone with a metal lathe to machine a chamfer on it. It would have a bit leeway on an 8mm bit, but as you normally put the hole through first you could tidy the end up easily enough.
As I say, not ideal but if needs must they're about £6 from Chronos.

Hello,.

Worth considering if all else fails. I thought I could get a 5/16 2 MT dead hollow centre and bore it up to 3/8 but they are all fancy these days and revolve. It is frustrating as I have the drive/ counter bore centre and the auger so only need the tailstock centre. But it looks like I'm going to have to get the whole kit in 5/16 or else make do with a less than satisfactory dodge.

Mike.

Latest posts

Back