Lock for cheap kitchen cabinet door.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBrown

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to find a lock that I can fit to a standard kitchen unit door.
It's for lockiing some stuff away in the kitchen at my tennis club, and it doesn't have to be ultra-secure.
I was thinking of the sort of mechanism that has rods on the inside of the door that engage with holes at the top and bottom, but I have no idea if these are readily available or what they are called.
However, any other ideas would also be gratefully received!

John

I thought about that, but the only way it would work, I think, would be to to mount the hasp on one door and the staple on the adjacent one, and that wouldn't be ideal. I'm now thinking of a cupboard door lock, possibly with a spacer, mounted at the top, with the bolt(?) engaging with the top of the carcase. The problem I foresee is not being able to find a lock with a long enough key to go through the door and spacer.
BTW, the spacer would be so that the mortice wouldn't be right on the edge of the carcase, since most mortice locks seem to be intended for flush doors.

I had to lock a cupboard at college, a few years ago, where the door overlaid on the cabinet. I did it with a padlock with a long removable shackle.
I fitted the shackle on the inside of the cabinet side so that the two prongs projected through two holes in the door. It was held in place with a bit of wood with two rebates in it and screwed though in the middle of the shackle trapping it in place. The body of the padlock was then put back on, when the door was shut, to secure it.

Thankyou all for your input.
jasonb: that's the sort of thing I was looking for, now I know what it's called!

John

Latest posts

Back