Local Post Office - Sorry to have to rant about them

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toesy

Established Member
Reaction score
Wont name or shame, but for those of use who post items out on a regular basis.

Be aware this is a constant experience I get at my local post office - somewhere in Birmingham.

Firstly - I use mainly two types of boxes to post items out, I always check the weight and that nothing is making the box bulge.
Large Letter PIP Box - Dimensions are L=340mm, W=240mm, Thickness 22mm.
Small Parcel PIP Box - Dimensions are L=440mm, W=349mm, Thickness 79mm.
I buy these boxes from a business which only sells boxes and packaging, I guess they would know the right dimensions as its their business to.

In the post office they have those plastic "Pricing in proportion calculator" on the counters, red with Letter, Large Letter with holes and dimensions showing,.

I know in the past I have been overcharged, as the staff either put the boxes thru at an angle, or use a worn out roughly cut from cardboard template. And say they don't fit thru.
Today the member of staff insisted that the box I had was a medium parcel and not a small parcel. When I pointed out to her that the people who supplied the box, wouldn't go the effort of actually printing on the back "Small Parcel PIP Box" she accepted what I said. And charged me the correct amount.

Tried to charge me £5.65 when it should have been £3.20 - AN Extra £2.45.

So be warned, check your weights and dimensions before you visit your local post office.

Rant over/

i have switched to My Hermes now for anything larger than a large letter. The weight is based on bands (less than 1kg, less than 2kg, 2-5kg, 5-10kg and 10-15kg IIRC), the size restriction is generous. It takes 3 days instead of next day but it is much easier and far cheaper if you have to go above the small parcel size.

Hi

I have nothing but praise for my local Post Office - helpful, friendly and convenient, I wouldn't be without it.

Regards Mick

Spindle":1ladlwbp said:
Hi
I have nothing but praise for my local Post Office - helpful, friendly and convenient, I wouldn't be without it.
Regards Mick

^^^ +1

My post is advising people who read these forums, to be careful about the services they pay for.

Check your dimensions and weights before you go, with the info post office price finder online, another post office in a nearby town did the same to my wife, when she posted something for me.

So its staff training me thinks for them...

From our local PO counter last month, where I buy first class large straps for my regular packages at 90p

Me "eleven first class large please"
Girl in PO "they are in books of four"
Me "OK, I'll have eight then please"
Girl "I haven't got any books of four, only loose ones, is that OK?"
Me "that will be fine, thanks"
Girl "how many do you want?"
Me " eleven please"
Girl " that's £9.90 please"

I give in at this PO. queues are up to 50 minutes most days, and despite being only 20 yards from my shop it is quicker to jump in the car, drive to a village PO three miles away, post packages, and drive back in 15 minutes.

Phil

My nearest post office has 4 different female staff, 2 very nice and knowledgeable about the services they offer, 1 is thick as pigs s***, and the last is just nasty. The nasty one grills you about the contents of any parcel, the last time I posted a parcel she asked what was inside, I told her it was a meter, she asked what sort of meter, I said a dwell meter, she looked at me like I was scum and thought I was taking the mick, I had to explain exactly what the dwell angle was on a car with points, it was comical, the thick one was first employed to just sell lottery tickets and somehow started working on the main counter.
I only ever use the post office for small parcels or if I need a proof of postage, otherwise I use a courier who picks up from the door.

Baldhead

Leaving aside belligerent or unhelpful staff, they do have a valid reason for asking what is inside the parcel. For starters, aircraft don't really like spontaneous combustion on board

suppression-3.jpg

Mind you, if you pick up the Restrictions leaflet from the Royal Mail and look at the section dealing with batteries, you need to be in Mensa to understand it.

Batteries - new alkaline metal, nickel metal hydride (NiMH) or nickel cadmium (NiCd)
Including D, C, 9V, AA, AAA and AAAA alkaline batteries. Must be new and sent unopened in their original retail packaging. Surround with cushioning material e.g. bubble wrap. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
Batteries - lithium ion/polymer batteries contained in/connected to an electronic device
Each package must contain no more than four cells or two batteries installed in equipment. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per package. Watt-hour rating must not exceed 20Wh per cell or 100Wh per battery. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, section 38.3. Batteries are subject to these tests irrespective of whether the cells of which they are composed have been so tested.

Cells and batteries must be manufactured under a quality management programme as specified in the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air. Cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, are forbidden. Any person preparing or offering cells or batteries with or in equipment for transport must receive adequate instruction on the requirements commensurate with their responsibilities. Cells and batteries must be protected against short circuit.

The equipment containing cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
These items must be presented at a Post Office® counter.

Lithium ion/polymer batteries sent in isolation are prohibited. Please see http://www.royalmail.com/prohibitedgoods

Batteries - lithium ion/polymer batteries sent with, but not connected to, an electronic device
The maximum number of batteries allowed in each package is the number that may be connected to the equipment plus two spares. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per package. Watt-hour rating must not exceed 20Wh per cell or 100Wh per battery. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, section 38.3. Batteries are subject to these tests irrespective of whether the cells of which they are composed have been so tested.

Cells and batteries must be manufactured under a quality management programme as specified in the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air. Cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, are forbidden. Any person preparing or offering cells or batteries with or in equipment for transport must receive adequate instruction on the requirements commensurate with their responsibilities. The consignment must be accompanied with a document with an indication that the package contains lithium ion cells or batteries; that the package must be handled with care and that a flammability hazard exists if the package is damaged; that special procedures must be followed in the event the package is damaged, to include inspection and repacking if necessary; and also a telephone number for additional information.

Cells and batteries must be packed in inner packagings that completely enclose the cell or battery. Cells and batteries must be protected against short circuit, including protection against contact with conductive materials within the same packaging that could lead to a short circuit. The equipment sent with cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation.

Lithium battery handling label to be applied ( see an example lithium battery label ). The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Lithium ion/polymer batteries sent in isolation are prohibited. Please see http://www.royalmail.com/prohibitedgoods

Batteries - lithium metal/alloy batteries contained in/connected to an electronic device
Each package must contain no more than four cells or two batteries installed in equipment. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per package. The lithium content must not be more than 1g per cell or 2g per battery. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, section 38.3. Batteries are subject to these tests irrespective of whether the cells of which they are composed have been so tested.

Cells and batteries must be manufactured under a quality management programme as specified in the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air. Cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, are forbidden. Any person preparing or offering cells or batteries with or in equipment for transport must receive adequate instruction on the requirements commensurate with their responsibilities. Cells and batteries must be protected against short circuit.

The equipment containing cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Lithium metal/alloy batteries sent in isolation are prohibited. Please see http://www.royalmail.com/prohibitedgoods

Batteries - lithium metal/alloy batteries sent with, but not connected to, an electronic device
The maximum number of batteries allowed in each package is the minimum number required to power the equipment plus two spares. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per package. The lithium content must not be more than 1g per cell or 2g per battery. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, section 38.3. Batteries are subject to these tests irrespective of whether the cells of which they are composed have been so tested.

Cells and batteries must be manufactured under a quality management programme as specified in the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air. Cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, are forbidden. Any person preparing or offering cells or batteries with or in equipment for transport must receive adequate instruction on the requirements commensurate with their responsibilities.

The consignment must be accompanied with a document with an indication that the package contains lithium metal cells or batteries; that the package must be handled with care and that a flammability hazard exists if the package is damaged; that special procedures must be followed in the event the package is damaged, to include inspection and repacking if necessary; and also a telephone number for additional information. Cells and batteries must be packed in inner packagings that completely enclose the cell or battery. Cells and batteries must be protected against short circuit, including protection against contact with conductive materials within the same packaging that could lead to a short circuit. The equipment sent with cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation.

Lithium battery handling label to be applied ( see an example lithium battery label ). The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Lithium metal/alloy batteries sent in isolation are prohibited. Please see http://www.royalmail.com/prohibitedgoods

Batteries - wet non-spillable
Sealed lead acid batteries, absorbed glass mat and gel cell batteries.

Batteries must comply with Special Provision 238 of the UN Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods, Model Regulations (please check with the manufacturer or distributor).

No more than one battery in any one package. Maximum weight 1.5kg. Item must be protected against short circuit (by the effective insulation of exposed terminals) and securely packaged.

Package must be marked “NOT RESTRICTED” and “SPA67 / SP238”. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Wet spillable lead acid/lead alkaline batteries (such as car batteries) are prohibited. Please see http://www.royalmail.com/prohibitedgoods

Random Orbital Bob":6rsaq5ke said:
my local PO is in the village shop. Excellent service and they also stock Barkham Blue which is without doubt the finest blue cheese on the planet :)
I think you will find it's probably the second best blue, just behind Exmoor Blue. :D

Could arrange a swap to see.

Phil

Sheptonphil":34uzu8xe said:
Random Orbital Bob":34uzu8xe said:
my local PO is in the village shop. Excellent service and they also stock Barkham Blue which is without doubt the finest blue cheese on the planet :)
I think you will find it's probably the second best blue, just behind Exmoor Blue. :D

Phil

Cheese thread needed!!! I think you are both wrong and the 2 finest blues are Shropshire and Ludlow!!

spinks":6erj7tmc said:
Sheptonphil":6erj7tmc said:
Random Orbital Bob":6erj7tmc said:

Phil

Cheese thread needed!!! I think you are both wrong and the 2 finest blues are Shropshire and Ludlow!!
They are undoubtedly second, third, forth and fifth behind Cornish blue. :)

Local PO is brilliant. I tried using ebay postage label system for a few items a bit back and when I took them all labelled properly to the PO they pointed out that it would have saved a bomb if they'd done it instead, as they know all the little rule and wangles. They still have to check them in, so there isn't even any time saving.
Also if something is just over sized or whatever you can take it home and do it again.
Couriers cheap (sometimes) but PITA having to wait around for some loony who can't find your address.

Sorry but you are all wrong ... Lancashire cheese is the bestest ... or so I've been told, personally I can't stand the stuff. : :(

Latest posts

Back