LN with a clifton blade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shim20

Established Member
Reaction score
hi peeps just got my LN no5 8) , but i would like an o1 blade in it, dose anyone know where the clifton ones fit?
many thansk

Not sure about Clifton Irons, but I have it on good authority that the LN O1 irons are currently out of stock :cry: , but they're in the process of making some, should be available in about 2 weeks :)

Aled

Yes, Clifton irons fit Lie=Nielsen planes
CCL2-s.jpg
Here with Clifton iron and cap-iron

CLC1-s.jpg
Here with Clifton iron and Lie-Nielsen cap-iron (and Clifton lever-cap, just for fun).

I found using the Clifton cap-iron I needed to move the depth adjusting wheel to a "higher" position (i.e. the Clifton cap-iron must be slightly longer from edge to yoke hole). Of course that won't happen if you only change the cutting iron.

Note that's a 55° frog in the Lie-Nielsen.

HTH.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• CCL2-s.jpg
    CCL2-s.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 952
  • CLC1-s.jpg
    CLC1-s.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 952
thanks chaps, would you say its an improvement over A2? ive just seen the price of a clifton blade for a no5 :shock:, i have to say im really impressed with the LN 5 first LN ive had and what a plane they are

shim20":2qxh0hp1 said:
thanks chaps, would you say its an improvement over A2? ive just seen the price of a clifton blade for a no5 :shock:, i have to say im really impressed with the LN 5 first LN ive had and what a plane they are

Whilst I might choose the O1 over the A2 at point of ordering, I sure wouldn't spend that much money changing (I hesitate to say upgrading) one to the other after it arrived.

BugBear

yes is alot of dosh, and tbh the LN A2 blade seems much better than my veritas block plane, which i find a pig to sharpen, ill see how i go

shim20":2jk8afwc said:
thanks chaps, would you say its an improvement over A2?
:oops: :oops: I haven't used either sufficiently to be able to judge :oops: :oops:

ive just seen the price of a clifton blade for a no5 :shock:,
Yes both Clifton and Lie-Nielsen irons aren't cheap. Unless you can afford to keep both, it might be worth on-selling the LN iron to help finance the Clifton.

i have to say im really impressed with the LN 5 first LN ive had and what a plane they are
I think the Lie-Nielsens are very good looking planes, but I prefer Cliftons 'cause a) they're not made in the USA (Chinese products aren't the only ones I prefer to avoid (hammer) ) and b) that fantastic forged O1 iron.

And as a parting thought: I wonder how O1 & A2 steels compare at York and middle pitch, where the planing forces are applied at 5 and 10 degree higher angles?

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back