Lizard 3D puzzel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summertime

Reaction score
Hi, would somebody look at this web site and advise on the best blade to use, the block of wood is 35mm thick and as you can see you cant use the waste to do the sharp turns around the claws. I get my blades from Mike and use his FD-UR type, used to like modified geometry blades but used them up at a great rate
may be I have to improve my on the spot turning skill.
Thanks for any help

35mm thick wood is a big lump for a scroll saw but for doing 3D projects is understandable. I have looked at the lizard and there are a few tight turns there. I feel for the thickness of the wood I would go for a number 7 blade, it's not to large to go round the feet of the lizard and you have more stability in a 7 blade as opposed to a 5 blade. I feel a 5 blade would flex to much on the tight turns. Having said all that it depends on what your using, if it's pine you may get away with a 5 blade but if your using hardwood I would go with the 7. One of the problems with 3D work is disguising the entry holes and sometimes rather than drill a bigger hole for the blade to go though it would be advisable to drill 2 or 3 small 1mm holes close together on a line of the pattern. It sounds a bit fiddly but the end result will be neater and more difficult to detect where the entry holes were. Hope this helps.

The puzzle looks great but without a pattern how on earth would we work out how to cut it! I think putting it back together would be hard enough.
If any of you do work out out and have a pattern I would be interested.

I was in Wilkinson's the other day and they had 1 and 2mm drill bits sold in pairs and they will just do the job in 35mm thick wood. It should be quite straight forward to make a pattern for this one with careful positioning of two lizards for a 3D cutout.

Hi, thanks for the help- answers, to stoolby I have cut about 6 Today, the pattern I got by typing in Lizzard puzzels and scrolling down until you see the same pattern, printed it out, squared the print up with a steel rule and knife then copyed it 4 times, took it to photocopying shop and repeat copied it till I now have 1 sheet with 12 lizards on it, then coppyied the 12 sheet 3 times. When I was in Lagos( portugal) they were being sold for 15 euros each, they were a good seller, not that I am interested in selling anything, just doing it for fun.
this Morning I made a clamp with 3 blanks in it 80 by 35 red cedar, put 2 6mm rods on the outside, with a 10mm gap at each end to thread the blade.nuts on rods clampings the 3 together. This made large mass to swivell around.
so far used FD- UR no 3. dead easy, this looked a lot harder than it is, used magnifying light( same one that filled the house with smoke) .No holes in puzzle, you just saw from one end to the other.learnt not to clamp nuts up too hard as it reduces the gaps in puzzle, making it harder to put together. should have had a go instead of being frightened of it.
claws have little rounds at the end.
As I said I have a sheet with 12 lizzards on it , If anyone wants a coppy , and I can figure out how to scan and send one.
Thanks for all your replies, when Mike sends the FD-polar No5 next week , will give them a go, I think you need a fair gap to make assembly easy. Regards

How do you cut something like that? haven't a clue where you would start 8-( very clever stuff

Hi, Claymore, thats what I thought, thats why I cast about looking for advise, but when I had a go it was easy, If you look carfully you saw from one end to another, turn it around and saw back.

Back