Little suspended bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loz

Established Member
Reaction score
Mahog 4 x 10 base bowl 3 inch dia, some twine, spirit stain, gilt cream.

Regs
L

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,197
I like this type of work a lot. Any chance of a photo showing the suspension? Also what are the rods made of wood or metal?

Pete

Hi Pete,

I don't have another pic, the rods are actually twine string, treated with copper gilt cream. The bowl is quite shallow with a small drip finial, and is above the base by around 10 mil.

Regs
L

Change to see something 'outside the box' so to speak needing as much thought off the lathe as on.

Did you allow for twine tension changes if the base segment moves ?

CHJ":2jqhhshc said:
Did you allow for twine tension changes if the base segment moves ?

You got me, But i'll remember next time !

Seeing things like this make me put on my turning smock but equally leaves me baffled how you create something like that :eek: I think it looks perfect, smart job :cool:

like the idea a lot

my 2p
the delicacy with which the bowl element is held IMO could be made better by choosing a close grained hardwood timber that is also delicately turned - the chunky bowl detracts
good contrast between the bowl and base could enhance the suspension idea
a Taut clean line generated for example by steel wire could also be interesting rather than a rustic feel from rope

A bit like a rope bridge and a steel suspension bridge - both are cool engineering achievements but evoke different feelings

Latest posts

Back