Little Oak Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbloke":3feowaar said:
Jacob":3feowaar said:
woodbloke":3feowaar said:
...... The beauty of the offset knife hinge is that when the door's open:

...it'll swing clear of the carcase. ... Comments welcome - Rob
It doesn't though does it? It swings back on to the carcase - works almost exactly the same as a butt hinge, depending on how you fit it.
I don't see the point of those knife hinges - difficult to fit, expensive and pointless. Untidy looking with that bit of metal sticking out. Just another fashion thanks to St Jim Krenov and now LV.
You can cast as much bait on the waters as you like Mr Butler, it won't have any effect now...if you kept up with your reading you will have seen that that i've done with UKW and all it's machinations, final and complete. I was only notified by someone else on another far more pleasant (where, thank God the likes of you are not tolerated) site that your stirring paddle was being wielded again.

So it's farewell and adios...for the second time - Rob

I must say Rob that you do seem to be making a mountain out of a Mole Hill, and regardless of your disparaging comments elsewhere you can't resist in having another go on UKW.

I personally have to daily bite my tongue when I see comments and reactions that are made from a personal vision point of view rather than standing back and taking another look at what has been said.

If an outsider without any knowledge of previous personality clashes were to read the above exchange what conclusions do you think they would make if they look closely at your little cabinet.

1":3feowaar said:
The beauty of the offset knife hinge is that when the door's open: .......
...it'll swing clear of the carcase. ... Comments welcome
2":3feowaar said:
It doesn't though does it?

Which is a perfectly correct observation based on the simplistic first statement.
The external pivot point may well project the door or a lid clear of the front face of a cabinet or box, but in the case of a little cabinet such as the one in this thread it would be impossible to fit a full width internal draw as the door when opened is inset within the front opening of the cabinet by the width of the pivot arm.

Sorry to see you go Rob.

At the risk of wading in to turbid waters, I have to say that I quite like knife hinges. For me the main reason for using them is that they allow me to place the door with a lot more freedom in relation to the stile — ie you can place the door forward or back from the stile, which can add a really nice, subtle detail and gently break up a too-uniform surface when it's done right. It's for this sort of reason that JK recommends them as I recall.

They also enable you to have cabinet sides that are too narrow for fitting butt hinges to, which can look very good in the right situation. And they do allow a door to swing past a protruding stile in certain situations if that's what is needed.

As to how they look, it's a matter of personal taste I suppose. To my eye when they're sized correctly they are subtle in a way that butt hinges are not. This is sometimes what I want, sometimes isn't.

Regarding the size, I think that the Brusso ones (and by the look of it the LV ones as well) are too chunky, and so sometimes stand out more than they should. This can be avoided (as can the cost) if you make your own out of thinner stock which is easy enough. They can be made very small and inconspicuous as they are quite strong and the screws are not liable to be stressed against the stile as they can be with butt hinges.

For me whether to use them or not is simply a function of the piece and what I am trying to achieve. Nothing to do with JK worship, although I'm glad I read his book which pointed out some of the uses of them.

None of these observations really apply to Rob's cabinet — as he said it was just a practice piece from offcuts to try them out for a review he was doing, not an attempt to explore all the subtleties.

Just my 2 cents.

woodbloke":2sz0wj6w said:
...........if you kept up with your reading you will have seen that that i've done with UKW and all it's machinations, final and complete. I was only notified by someone else on another far more pleasant (where, thank God the likes of you are not tolerated) site that your stirring paddle was being wielded again.

So it's farewell and adios...for the second time - Rob
So it's welcome back and buenas dias for the third time (over there) :lol: :lol:
It's more than three though isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzZHmHqEE7k

woodbloke":8e126lm4 said:
The 'Mask Cabinet' has been put on the back burner for a mo' while I was making this little cabinet. The reason is that Derek Jones sent me a selection of LV knife hinges to evaluate for F&C and by a remarkable piece of timing :-" they're exactly what I need for the former job...so I made this to practice fitting a pair of offset knife hinges, closely following the instructions provided by LV and also of course the process will be fully documented in the mag.

There's nothing fancy about this...just some scabby odds n'sods of European Oak, edge jointed and then through dovetailed together, with a couple of oak shelves housed in:

DSC_0023-1.jpg

Very nIcely done, but it suffers (IMHO) from the classic problem of over generosity of material; I would prefer almost every piece of timber to be thinner - somewhere around 45-55 of the current thickness.

BugBear

Only just starting my adventures in furniture, amongst other things and these are the kind of pieces that made me want to start woodworking more. Just looks fantastic.

woodbloke":221kkjpq said:
UTMonkey":221kkjpq said:
Sorry, did you actually say scabby odds and sods? Looks great
Yep...all sorts of scabby oddments salvaged from under the bench...look at the mis-match in the front panel and the sides are like that as well. The back (although you can't see it) is band sawn veneers from what was left over when the main bits of the carcase were made. No point in using prime grade oak for a simple little cabinet like this - Rob...parsimonious mode :mrgreen:

Crumbs, I wish I could turn my off-cuts into something as attractive and useful as that cabinet.

Back