Lining inside new shed workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I am at the stage of insulating and lining the inside of my new woodworking shed and wondered if I could get some opinion particularly on thickness of wall lining to use.

I plan to place breathable 'paper' membrane flat across all the studwork (shiplap clad on outside), then attach 2 x 2 battens horizontally at 600mm centres with noggins every 1200mm, insert rockwool flexi slab, place vapour barrier membrane on the battens and finally use OSB 3 as a wall and ceiling lining.

Any ideas on a) if 9mm OSB3 is thick enough or too bendy for this, b) if OSB3 is actually needed vs OSB2, and c) any other options which won't break the bank, as I need about 20 8x4 sheets.

Thanks.

I lined a sectional concrete 20x8 shed with the following

plastic sheet DPC type right down the walls and over the floor
50x50 softwood battens horizontally all round the walls approx 600mm centres
wedged 50mm celotex or kingspan between the battens
lined the whole lot with green 8x2 flooring chipboard with boards running vertically

been up and running for 18mths and no issues. The 18mm chipboard provides plenty of thickness for shelf brackets etc and it stays nice and flat.

edit
I lined floor with 25mm polystyrene to save money then chipboard flooring on top but that was a mistake as the poly is crushing....

Hmm, chipboard is a possibility I hadn't considered. I'll look into that one.

I have also used polystyrene for the floor, 50mm underneath another 50mm concrete, to save the amount of concreting needed and provide some insulation. So far seems strong.

I think from memory that was the cheapest way of lining with a thick board - make sure its green!

I'm about to do mine, although it is single skin breeze block. Using 2" Celotex, topped off with 11mm OSB, painted white. Floor will be 2" Celotex and green chipboard. 100mm wool in the rafters, again topped off with 11mm OSB.

Thanks, useful to know, and 11mm OSB had been my first thought, but seems hard to find in Type 3 for some reason. Certainly chipboard for the floor seems a good plan, should cause smaller dents in dropped things than concrete will.

Back