Lime tree timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colarris

Established Member
Reaction score
I've spent ages trying to find a wood merchants that sells off cuts of wood and gave up. After scrounging I found a big lump of trunk cut from what looks like a Lime tree. Is wood from this tree workable? I only need to put a couple of mortises in it. It is very fresh so at the moment a little soft.

excellent carving wood
what are you wanting to make with it.

We used to plank lime from the round, for special orders.
After sawing, it can suddenly split, with a bang.
It may well be worth looking at a swap with a carver, for some other species more useful to you.
In which case try and get some more!
Regards Rodders

Thanks for the replies. Just to add, it is common Lime not the fruit tree variety. :)

I'm after two pieces, roughly 5cm by 10cm and about 15-20cm long. Trying to make a pot stand/planter and legs will be attached to those two Lime pieces via tenons, hopefully. Problem is the wood is very fresh and slightly soft so no idea how it will cope with having a mortise cut into it.

Colarris":1662t5nw said:
Just to add, it is common Lime not the fruit tree variety. :)

Yep, that's the stuff - it's excellent for carving! (just in case you'd missed everyone else saying that!)

Lime wood is one of the softer 'hardwoods'. In fact, it's roughly similar to larch in terms of hardness and strength. So, when you plan on the planter, use that as a guide for how thick and strong it is.

The other side is, for a pot stand - lime is not considered durable. So it will rot if its in contact with damp soil (in that respect, it's not as good as larch, which is much better due to the resin content). If your planning a liner (or pot?) that might not be such an issue.

Colarris":mwcvlb5g said:
I'm after two pieces, roughly 5cm by 10cm and about 15-20cm long. Trying to make a pot stand/planter and legs will be attached to those two Lime pieces via tenons, hopefully. Problem is the wood is very fresh and slightly soft so no idea how it will cope with having a mortise cut into it.

If you ever find yourself in the New Forest, or taking the Isle of Wight ferry from Lymington, then drop me an email and I'll give you some decent dry hardwood sized for your project.

I would have thought that the problems are twofold: 1) it is not a durable wood, therefore with the constant damp from the plant withing is liable to rot. 2) it is not seasoned and therefore, you will join it , be proud of your work, move in into a heated environment where it will promptly split, crack and shrink. I don't think that unseasoned lime is the stuff you want for this project I am afraid to say!

Many thanks for the info, helped greatly. I won't bother using it due to its duribilty and yes, Custard, if I find myself in the middle of the New Forest I most certainly WILL drop you a line! ;)

Back