lifting gear Help!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been asked to design and make a small chess table for a good friend of mine.

The table will be 800x800 square with a 400x400 chessboard set into the centre of the tabletop this will be supported with a central column support leg.

The chessboard will raise from the table with the chess pieces set up in playing position when a button or peg is pulled, somehow!!!

The board needs to be able to glide silently and smoothly and come to rest level with the tabletop, this should be about 100 to 130mm from the bottom of the recessed column support leg.

Anyone have an idea of what I could use for the lifting the board 100mm. I think the weight would only be about a kilo maybe les.

I thought of some sort of counter weight or springs with a locking slid side rod (pin), to lock it ,,, in an up or down position

Whatever I finely use it has to be extremely smooth and stable.

Oh yes, no power to the table

Any ideas would be most greatly received

Thanks again

Gary

Have a look or speak to the makers of flightcases for audiovisual conferencing kit. There is at least one maker (couldnt tell you who Im afraid) who made cases just like that which raised plasma screens and large monitors to viewing height when the lid is removed. Oakleigh case may have been the people who made the cases I recall if not they can probably suggest a mechanism to do it with.
http://www.oakleighcases.com/

cheers Mike

What about some kind of light gas strut In the down position the strut is compressed release a catch and up the board rises. To help glide and remove friction put Teflon tape on the glide surfaces thats what they use on theatre sets to stop drawers sticking and squeaking

If you could dampen the action themn something like a gas lift from an office chair set into the central leg would work well.

Mr.

Isaac lord do the plasma screen lifts :D but they are a bit on the pricy side :( and need a power supply :(

Jason

I wonder if a scissor jack mechanism would work? It would need a handle/knob to activate it but a slow and steady movement would be assured.

Bob

Hi All,

I would like to thank you for all your suggestions.

I think I will go with the gas springs

I think this will deliver the smoothest and softest motion.

I will order a couple of gas springs and do a mock up test and let you know how they work.

Found this company who are very helpful

http://www.industrialgassprings.com/uk/products.asp

Thanks again

for your help

That was a quick decision. Many years back I made a sewing table which incorporated a disappearing machine on a platform which lowered automatically to allow a lid to slide across. It was a purpose made commercial fitting and may still be available.

Hi

Now that sounds interesting any chance of a little more information

Must admit I did think about the old disappearing sewing machine trick,
but couldn’t find any helpful info on how to build or construct it

The gas spring will work it’s just the price of about £90 +

Thanks

Latest posts

Back