Lie-Nielsen bevel edge chisels for sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
andyavast":1z9vbj44 said:
Mornin'

I basically cut and planed my stock to size, ripped off a 5mm slice from the front, dressed both cut faces, drilled 20mm holes in the thick side and pushed 5x20mm rare earth magnets into the holes before gluing the face back on and finish planing/chamfering the arrises.

the magnets were obtained from http://www.e-magnetsuk.com and cost £8 for ten i think. Their service is flawless and fast, highly recommended.

two magnets are strong enough to hold a block plane in my experience!

Is the 5mm thickness of the front layer a rough guess, or found by experimentation?

In my experience with rare earth magnets, they're so damn strong they tend to "slam" rather violently at the last minute - and I always find sudden movement and sharp edges an unfortunate combination :(

BugBear

i tried a few different thickness in scrap before I found the right combination of holding strength and grab. in this particular instance (american black walnut) i found that approximately 5mm of wood between the front face and the magnet was ideal. the feel of knives clicking softly but securely to the face of the block is extremely satisfying.

at the size i was using, rare earth magnets are powerfully attractive as you have obviously found out to your displeasure! I assure you, the chaos that ensued when one decided to stick itself to another and then to a plane which picked up a ruler and so on was irritating in the extreme. the process was rather fun though and i learned a lot a bit about magnetism to boot!

I thought about doing a how-to but thought the simplicity of the project would be insulting to the majority.

Andy

Thank You got the chisels today! That was quick wasn't it! They are in great shape, well new! haven't you used them? Well I will put them to use, that's for sure.

andyavast":31ugznvh said:
i tried a few different thickness in scrap before I found the right combination of holding strength and grab. in this particular instance (american black walnut) i found that approximately 5mm of wood between the front face and the magnet was ideal. the feel of knives clicking softly but securely to the face of the block is extremely satisfying.

at the size i was using, rare earth magnets are powerfully attractive as you have obviously found out to your displeasure! I assure you, the chaos that ensued when one decided to stick itself to another and then to a plane which picked up a ruler and so on was irritating in the extreme. the process was rather fun though and i learned a lot a bit about magnetism to boot!

I thought about doing a how-to but thought the simplicity of the project would be insulting to the majority.

Andy

Well, the strength of the magnets is FAR from obvious, and the thickness of wood required is a good piece of information. Perhaps (in this case) that actually constitutes a how-to ;-)

BugBear

Latest posts

Back