Lidls Plunge saw is back - @ £69

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunsterman

Reaction score
Just a heads up - Lidl have their plunge saw with 2 x 700mm track back in stores at £69 - Part of last Sundays special so may be gone from a lot of stores.

I joined here the other day to ask advice about plunge saws for light diy use.
I found various threads saying what a good deal the Lidl one was. I looked on their site and nothing was listed so I rang to find when it may be back in. Customer services told me it was a National offer last Sunday but they as they had run out of space in the leaflet it was left out and therefore didn't make their web site either.

I rushed round to my local store tonight and they had one left - saving me £60 over the equivalent at Screwfix - which was my next stop.

Looking at the saw it has two features missing over the others offered at budget prices
1. No kickback stop - which is fine as most users find anti-kickback more of a pain than it warrants
2. No scoring stop - which is fine as the number of times I'd use that is minimal.

However the build quality appears to be better than the others from the comments I've seen on Youtube.

Looking forward to using it.

I love mine and wouldn't be without it. For reference, it works on a festool track perfectly with minor adjustment of the cams.

Are the Festool and Lidl tracks compatible (ie could they join together)

Also I hear that the Makita Antichip strip fits both the Festool and Lidl tracks - anyone tried this?

@Rorschach Thanks for the confirmation.

Has anyone tried getting extra track recently (ie since they alst sold the saw in June)?

dunsterman":3g7eq84o said:
@Rorschach Thanks for the confirmation.

Has anyone tried getting extra track recently (ie since they alst sold the saw in June)?
Yes i bought two sets of tracks using the method described in this forum, couple months back

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sammy.se":3sqk28dq said:
Yes i bought two sets of tracks using the method described in this forum, couple months back

Thanks Sammy.

I'll order some on Monday.
Did yours come with connectors.

I had to make another one to join the two lengths together.

Pete

Thanks.
I have already made a couple out of tufnol (for using modified rails on a crosscut table I am making for the saw).

I ordered a set this morning but was surprised at the price - after seeing the figures quoted by others of around £10 - £11 they charged me over £17 including £4.40 postage.

rails.jpg

Attachments

• rails.jpg
    rails.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 164
But not a joining bar to link the pairs of rails, I had to make an extra one.

Pete

I've lost a couple of the joining bar grub screws. Any advice on where I can get just a few and what the right name is for the screws I should be googling for?

I don't know this saw Sammy, but it's a pretty fair bet that the grub screws with be a standard (ISO) Metric coarse thread. Something like 5 or 6 mm at a guess. So take a bolt (or length of threaded rod) saw into the lengths you need (cut the head off first if it's a bolt), set the cut length vertical in the vice, and carefully cut a normal slot, finishing off with a file if needed.

Tip: before cutting to length run a nut along the threaded portion up to the cut point. This not only acts as a cutting guide but also removes the bur from the underside of the cut as you remove the nut after the cut's completed. Quick touch with a file and you've now got a clean start to the thread which will easily start in the joiner without any binding.

HTH

Edit for a P.S. I normally buy my bolts and machine screws in the longest lengths available ('cos it's easier to shorten a bolt than to lengthen it)!!!! That means that I soon build up a stock of "headless bolts" of varying lengths which then become the perfect stock for making grub screws whenever I need one - i.e. don't chuck your cut offs away.

Then should be dead easy to make, as above. AND should also be freely available in just about any old hardware or DIY joint too (well they are over here anyway). AND, if buying you get the advantage of a better drive slot than the standard old screw driver slot as above (e.g. pozi, torx, or even Philips).

To join my lidl tracks and festool I made my own strip from some Aly plate. Just cut on the bandsaw and filed to size, it doesn't need to be a super tight fit in the slot.

Back