Lidl or MacAllister Plunge Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Ive had the Lidl version of this tracksaw and for how often I used it I was happy with it until it had an argument with gravity (gravity won) and smashed the outer casing.

It looks as though it's on sale again from next week and thought I would take the plunge again (no pun intended) and buy it, however I noticed Screwfix are selling the MacAllister one for a tenner more, which makes little or no difference.

Any opinions on which one to go for?

Tipping towards the MacAlister one as it does have decent reviews.

Phil

MacAlister are not too bad, I am basing that on the 1500W router I have that I purchased from B&Q. I had mislaid the guide rail that came with and got in touch with MacAlister who sent me out a new one F.O.C, this was despite the purchase being made some 30 months previous. They seem to have a very good customer service dept and that in itself speaks volumes. I don't know anything about Lidl to compare with but customer service alone would make me lean towards MacAlister and Screwfix.

If you already had the Lidl Parkside one and were happy with it why change. If you buy another Lidl one you will have extra track.
I know what I would do but you need to decide for yourself.

I’ve had a few Parkside power tools in the past, and although they are cheap, I‘ve not been convinced that they always give value for money where I use them for more than a one off job (but that‘s just my humble opinion!). I have been keeping an out for a cheap plunge saw, and am tempted by the MacAllister as I have been pleased with a couple of their other power tools that I have - does anyone know if there is additional/compatable track available to extend the length of cut beyond 1400mm?

Thanks

David

I have the McAlister. It is a very good saw. Ni idra why i chose it over the parkside saw other than i could pick it up at screwfist. I beleive it fits the parkside rails although i havent tried it myself others have.

That's interesting. I had a Lidl/Parkside saw, never took it out if the box before moving house, and then one of the removal guys stole it. Hard to prove anything, so I had to suck it up. I've been looking at buying another, but have read a lot if stuff about track compatibility. Was considering the Erbauer from Screwfix, but the Macalister is way cheaper.

If you can, go for the Erbauer. You get a case and clamps for the track and you'd probably want to buy clamps anyway. You also get soft start, which I really wish I had on my MacAllister. The jolt as the thing turns on every time is horrendous

I recently got the Erbauer one. First track saw so I've nothing to compare it to but it seems very good, the soft start is nice and the cramps are pretty good.
Having been bitten by the track saw bug, I got a 1.5m Makita rail which is excellent. The erbauer rails are pretty good but the joint isn't perfect so if you set the base cams really close it can bind a bit.

If you can, go for the Erbauer. You get a case and clamps for the track and you'd probably want to buy clamps anyway. You also get soft start, which I really wish I had on my MacAllister. The jolt as the thing turns on every time is horrendous

From past experience, I won't buy any Screwfix Erbaur branded stuff, if it breaks after the warranty has run out it's bin fodder, they don't carry spares for many products. IIRC Lidl stuff has 3 year warranty and MacAlister seem to have good reputation.

the main issue for me with the Parkside is if it breaks, you will get your money back but you will have to wait a while to get a replacement. with macalliseter you have the option of refund or replacement.

As for the saws, I haven't used either so no comment.

my circular saw's work very hard......even the best cheapo's dont make the grade......
I wish I brought back with me from the states a Skill sidewinder saw.....just for the hell of it.....
for mains corded saws I only buy Japanese.....
and none of them have a soft start funcion......but all the tools I've had with it give trouble with it eventually.........

Be aware that the Erbauer has an odd blade size which reduces blade choice dramatically. The Erbauer is a dead ringer for the larger Triton saw - I compared them in a recent video, preferred the cheaper Erbauer tbh - so some spare parts may well be interchangeable, though bizarrely neither Erbauer or Triton offer spare / replacement blades. I might just have a have a video out soon comparing the MacAllister to the Parkside - almost like it was timed to coincide with the availability of the saw... 🤔

FYI quality control has been a bit iffy recently with the Parkside; Lidl’s customer service is excellent as always, but because of the saws popularity if you return one it’s likely to be for a refund, not a replacement.

I’ve also done videos about guiderail compatibility, many entry level plunge saw comparisons etc... and they’re all gathered under the ‘tracksaw workshop’ playlist on my YouTube. HTH P

Don't buy either. I bought the macalister as a site tool and immediately wanted to throw off a cliff. It doesn't slide, it doesn't cut, the rails move. youde be better off with a handsaw. I have a festool ts55 in the workshop so maybe I'm spoiled but save your money. Nothing worse than spending 80 quid on basically recycled christmas cracker toys.

I've been very happy with my MK1 Parkside saw. If it broke would I buy another? Dunno, at the time it was the only "cheap" option out there, seems to be lot more choice now so I would probably just go for whichever one was easiest to get and fits the festool tracks.

Be aware that the Erbauer has an odd blade size which reduces blade choice dramatically. The Erbauer is a dead ringer for the larger Triton saw - I compared them in a recent video, preferred the cheaper Erbauer tbh - so some spare parts may well be interchangeable, though bizarrely neither Erbauer or Triton offer spare / replacement blades. I might just have a have a video out soon comparing the MacAllister to the Parkside - almost like it was timed to coincide with the availability of the saw... 🤔

FYI quality control has been a bit iffy recently with the Parkside; Lidl’s customer service is excellent as always, but because of the saws popularity if you return one it’s likely to be for a refund, not a replacement.

I’ve also done videos about guiderail compatibility, many entry level plunge saw comparisons etc... and they’re all gathered under the ‘tracksaw workshop’ playlist on my YouTube. HTH P
Thanks, Peter. Didn't know about the blade issue. Maybe I'll wait for the video.
I think Parkside quality is variable. I bought a bench grinder/belt sander a few years back, and it's terrible.

Thanks everybody for your opinions. I'm not in the market for a Fesstool or similar quality/price saw. I'm only a incompetent amateur.
I'll wait for Peter's comparison. Bad reviews from someone who only owns one brand, while well intentioned, are of limited value, IMO.

Be aware that the Erbauer has an odd blade size which reduces blade choice dramatically. The Erbauer is a dead ringer for the larger Triton saw - I compared them in a recent video, preferred the cheaper Erbauer tbh - so some spare parts may well be interchangeable, though bizarrely neither Erbauer or Triton offer spare / replacement blades.

Thanks, I expected blade choice would be an issue. Saxton blades do 40 and 80 tooth blades in the correct size, but not a 48. I seriously doubt I'll need a 80.
D&M sell a trend that is a direct replacement for the stock Erbauer blade, not expensive either.
My track saw is mainly for home workshop use. At work, I mainly do 1st and 2nd fix site joinery so a track saw isn't vital (for me). The only time it goes out on site is when I'm hanging doors.
Your track saw workshop was excellent btw(y)

Back