Lidded Form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

This piece is carrying on with my current interests.

It is made of beech, 110 mm dia x 130mm high.

Textured, stained with various colours and methods, gold leaf, polymer clay and acrylic paint.

IMG_0710edsmall-1.jpg

IMG_0711EDSMALL.jpg

That's a change in proportions from that which I was expecting Mark, so used to seeing your taller pieces, you have put a lot of time and effort into that finishing, the visual impact is in danger of denying the initial turned form it's due worth.

Mark that piece looks excellent :D
Love it all,however you have done it :D
The gold leaf with the finial copy on the front looks like a key hole to me :?:

As an art form I love this though I can see traditional turners not liking the lack of visible wood. I really like the different textures and finishes you are achieving with these pieces.

Pete

Hi Mark,

This is a perfect use of wood as a medium for artistic expression.

The beauty of natural wood is probably the most subjective of all, I like how you force the viewer to confront this with this piece.

Personally, I don't care what wood you have used, it's completely irelavant for this piece as you have chosen to use it in a different way.

The form is particularly pleasing for me and something I can see being achievable for the average turner, even if they turn a bowl with a large lid.

I'll need to plug you about the texture on this one, another phone call is in order :)

Excellent,

Lee.

Hi All thank you for your comments.

Chas

Thank you. With these pieces I let myself go and produce the texture/colour/effect based on the items/background that I have used as reference.

In this case I wanted to produce a piece based more on the Chinese lacquer work which is far more flamboyant than the Japanese pieces. This is due to the different philosophies behind them and their purpose. However I have still maintained my interest in the Japanese side so it is an amalgamation of my ideas.

The sculpted or in this case turned form is irrelevant to me other than a canvass onto which I place the ideas. Although the form has to be right for the foundation, if it becomes less obvious to the viewer as the main point of interest the better. I want the whole to be seen as one and no single part to be the main focus. As mentioned the philosophy is the main subject behind pieces and not the form or what it represents in its solid state.

Paul

Thank you for your comment.

It is not a key hole. Although that is an interesting idea perhaps for a future piece.

Pete

Thank you. I run two styles of work side by side. This type and pure work, both have their place and for me are equally valid. As mentioned these pieces are for me to express my ideas and to develop my skills in both techniques and mind set. It is a continual trial and error method of which I at times get right others not.

Hi Lee

Thank you.

I have not in making this piece deliberately tried to challenge the traditional way. Although I know it will for some. My pure lidded forms hold no challenge for me now either technique wise or mentally. Not that I am saying they are as good as they could get, just I have made enough to know I can make them and there the challenge ends.

Now I am more interested in how I can express my ideas beyond that of just producing a pleasing shape.

The texturing for this was original shown to me by Philip Streeting and I have since played around to try out my own ideas and colouring methods, all of which are continuing to be developed.

Thank you all again

Bodrighy":dyuzxgp6 said:
As an art form I love this though I can see traditional turners not liking the lack of visible wood.

Have you noticed that people never complain that a potter has painted their piece and not left any visible clay ;) Then again wood is far prettier than clay (in general).

Mark: Another lovely piece. I am constantly impressed by how much detail you get into such a small piece, if I had to have guessed I would have said that it was more like 11" rather than 11cm!

If you get seriously into the polymer clay you can do all sorts of funky things. SWMBO has acquired an old pasta machine to roll out the clay and blend colours together. You can also get translucent clay that you can mix in to give an irridescent sheen to the work, and silver clay that has a silver content high enough that you can get it hallmarked if you ever wanted to go down that route.

Hi Frugal

Thank you for your comment.

I am only using polymer clay at the moment for its ease in manipulation, however as you say it is amazing what can be done with it and when I get time will explore it further, along with the glass rod work ( which I still can't do) metal clays etc etc etc. Not enough time to explore them all fully at the moment.

Back