Levelling old sharpening stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck, BB, I thought you'd probably scrape them. No, silly me, file them. Erm, abrasives on a stick...? :wink: :lol:

Incidentally, why "Wheee!" <i>vis a vis</i> slate stones?

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2loxukj7 said:
Heck, BB, I thought you'd probably scrape them. No, silly me, file them. Erm, abrasives on a stick...? :wink: :lol:

Err.. actually, I did do some "spot" removal with 50 grit AlZi.

Incidentally, why "Wheee!" <i>vis a vis</i> slate stones?

'cause it's butter soft - wether they'll stay flat is another matter, but since they're finishing stones, they don't get aggressive use.

BugBear

I tried the "Tormek paste" and now the only thing I'm regretting is that I have always threw it away earlier. For levelling the stone it was great and fast. With 40 or 80 watersanding there was very little progress to be seen, but with this it realy didn't take too long time.

For sharpening tools I would guess the grit might be too variable, bigger particles might make scratches to the metal.

But the results were so promising that I might give it a try. Getting the different grits out of the slurry should be relatively easy: just mix the slurry with water, wait a bit for the heavier particles to drop down and save the grey water still containing the smaller. Pour it to second container, wait for the next heaviest to drop down... That way you would get a series of roughly graded grits on the bottom of the containers. Of course you wouldn't have a clue about the grit number, but they are only numbers anyway :D

I'll try if it works. It would help if I had previous experience of the loose grits, but if anyone with experience would be interested to try it really would be interesting to know how it would compare to the commercial grits available.

Pekka

Back