Lets talk hedge trimmers.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use a Stihl HS45 here very reliable and well balanced
around 12 months ago i moved from traditional 2 stroke mix to Aspen Fuel yes it is a lot more expensive but it doesn't go off and leave a horrible sludge in the fuel tank and carb, most people only use a hedge trimmer and for that matter a strimmer or chainsaw infrequently and hardly at all through the winter then have issues starting for the first time in the spring, Aspen removes this issue and means you dont either have to drain the fuel system or spend time trying to flush old fuel and oil out.
D

Try a battery trimmer. Even large hedges with two batteries. Yes, they are up to the job these days. I'm guessing weight and long leads are not in your 'want' list.

With my Stihl kombi I cut the sides vertical but the top I cut at 45 degrees from either side ( good neighbours!) so it comes to a point about 2-3 feet above the sides. Makes doing the top easier and the cuttings slide off rather than sit on top and need collecting. Oh and if you have rotary mower use it to mulch and collect the clippings at the same time, you can get lots lots more in the garden recycling bin that way;);)

My advice would be firstly to consider what you are capable of doing, how fit you are etc. I have friends who have tackled hedges using ladders and tripods, fallen off and caused serious injury to themselves. If you are young and fit you can stand on something solid and reach across and cut the top of the hedge. It you are of good age or want and easy life you don’t want to be climbing up ladders or tripods to cut a hedge. Firstly consider cutting the hedge down to a manageable height so that you can cut it easily without any need to climb up and do the job. Secondly if you need to get a hedgecutter get a Stihl Kombi, this will enable you to cut the hedge standing on the ground, you can reach the top easily and angle the blade to cut the far side, and extension piece is available to add on, if extra height is needed. The. Stihl Kombi is a balanced tool, one adjusts the supporting strap so the the weight is taken on your upper body so you can use it all day and not get any aches. There are all sorts of similar machines, copies and lesser models, but you will find that if you decide to get a hedge cutter in to the mod you will easily find a buyer for a good machine. Take care, and do it safely standing on the ground,
Regards
This is very sound advice.
Many years ago a neighbour had a TIA while cutting his hedge up a ladder. He fell onto the patio and was very lucky to survive.
More recently a guy at work in his twenties fell off a ladder while cutting his parents hedge. Unfortunately his foot got caught in the ladder and he broke his ankle to the point he won’t walk properly ever again.
Please stay safe.

We have a Stihl/Grasshopper hedge cutter, it is a great machine with a long adjustable angle cutter bar.
Superb machines. The yacht club has a large two handled Stihl strimmer, considering the heavy use it gets from everyone & his brother who thrashes it, some of whom probably shouldnt! It is a testament to the quality & reliability of Stihl. Its at least ten years old & still going strong.

Strong then :)
Capacity about the same, the main difference is that on my existing the motor is directly attached to the cutting blades ie at the far end of the pole, this one has the motor at the handle end and a flexible connection down the handle to the cutter. My one is heavy to use because you are maneuvering a heavy weight (motor and cutter) at the end of the "pole" (leverage issue) - the Hawksmoor should be far easier to manage as the weight is in your hand.
Just noticed that Einhell GC-HH 9048 is a similiar

Back