lego storage solution

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promhandicam

Established Member
Reaction score
my son has a large quantity of lego which he enjoys immensely but due to the amount he can never find the bits he wants. Together we made this:
ec2e0e04.jpg

He now has somewhere to store / sort his lego and I had a chance to 'play' with my trend dovetail jig :wink: The boxes were bought in the UK in Morrisons ( the other 12 are elsewhere), the finish is Patina - luverly stuff, the ply and castors are locally sourced.

Lessons learnt :
1. the local ply (18mm) is c**p quality - about the equivalent of shuttering ply I would imagine and not really up to being used for something like this - at least it would be OK painted after using a small bucket of filler - but then I don't really like making something from wood (even ply) and then hiding it under several coats of paint.
2. I need to ask father Christmas for some new clamps. I used my worktop jig as a guide to cut the slots and not one but twice it slipped while routing the slots. :evil: I believe that it is possible to put a bit of sandpaper between the two surfaces to prevent sliding, but I'd rather have clamps that clamp.
3. Patina gives a good finish but rubbing it in when the temperature is around 90F / 32C and humidity around 90% is knackering :( Unlike some recent posts on the forum I don't have to worry about heating my workshop - air-conditioning would be nice however!

Cheers, Steve

That looks great Steve, i bet you both enjoyed building it together.

Does he put his lego away in it tho :lol:

Matt.

yes we did have fun doing it together - he is 8 and is enjoying doing things with dad at the moment - long may it continue :D
As for putting the lego away :roll: at least now he doesn't have an excuse not too :wink:

Nice job Steve,
That must be one helluva lot of Lego to fill thoses boxes.

I'm another fan of Patina, a bullet proof finish IMHO. Can't say I've used it in those conditions though! :lol:

Andy

Back