LED Light Strips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will1983

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a load of live edge sycamore boards acclimatising in the house waiting to become floating shelves in an alcove in our living room.
I would like to use these shelves to display things from our travels so need to include some sort of lighting.

I was considering buying the self adhesive LED light strips and mounting them in a V groove in the bottom of the shelves. the intention being that when stuck to the rear facing facet of the V groove they would shine back into the alcove.

I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for which LED light strips to buy or as is usually the case with this forum anyone had another better idea?

I've been looking around at some LED replacements for my fluorescent tube lights in the garage.
A number of folk recommended LED Hut, and they do a variety of LED strips for shelving too.

for what you are after get the second cheapest you can find. they are all pretty much the same stuff. if it's for display go with single colour.

I ran a set of multicolour round a jukebox project, it works well, especially when it can't be seen.

I used the cheapest ones on Ebay for some shelves and they work fine.

Pete

+1 for the cheap eBay ones. I've used loads from China in the caravan, under kitchen units, in alcoves etc, no problems at all. Remember you'll need a driver for them, Screwfix do good ones for around £18 if I remember correctly.
The only drawback to the Chinese thing is the extended delivery time but if that doesn't bother you then go for it.

Thanks all, I'll check out "The 'Bay of E"!

I looked on LED Hut, they had some quite nifty looking channel with LED sticky strip inside that I could inset into the surface, bit pricy at about £22 a meter though.

just fitted the channel from LED hut into my bathroom shelving. It is good stuff and the plastic shrouding dows a good job of dispersing the light so it does no't create spots on the shelf bellow. The other benefit is that they do a backward facing 45 degree angle channel to do exactly what your v grove would do.

Cheers Toonarmy, I'll do a search for that. it would result in a much neater result.

Do you know how it would work with 6 individual channels? I presume you can run them all from the same driver, but do you daisy chain them or is it necessary to run 6 individual wires out of a single driver?

I have just that on my shelving unit. 6 small strips run off one driver plugged into a socket I spliced in in my loft wiring. Just a bit of solder and some wire. It really is very simple. here is a pic of the lights working before I installed the shelves.

would help if i put the pic in :lol:

IMG_1373_1.jpg

Hot stuff":e54s0dtu said:
The only drawback to the Chinese thing is the extended delivery time but if that doesn't bother you then go for it.

This can vary a lot. My last two orders from AliExpress have arrived in 9 days and 7 days.

Used loads of these. The cheapest eBay strips will be fine for a shelf. You can get some with brighter LED’s but for a shelf the cheapies will be fine. Go for warm white though or it will look very clinical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back