Lathe & Shaping Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Now that my w'shop is near ready for me to use (electrics almost complete). I'm thinking of upgrading, cleaning and tuning my modest hand-tool collection before I get stuck into any projects.

I have some nice dinky 2 cherries chisels that I would like to make different handles for, and also I have a couple of saws (1 courtesy of ALF) that I would like to make a new handle with - inspired after seeing the beautifull wood of Mike's saws. And I would like to make some nicer shaped 'sticks' for my japanese saws.

So, I have a small budget (about £150-ish) and would like to buy a small benchtop lathe and some shaping tools.

Can anyone recommend/give advice on things I should keep an eye out for, I have no problems with second hand or new.

When it comes to rasps, files etc. I'm a complete ludite and have no idea - the same with lathes..

Have you checked the turning forum ? There was a recent thread about a small benchtop lathe - Axminster do the Perform CCSL and the M330 which would both be suitable.(Also a couple of good threads on lathe and chisle purchases generally)
As said on there a few times,will you ever want to make anything bigger ? ; you can turn small items on a big lathe,but not vice versa.
There are always second-hand lathes on e-bay,you just have to be patient enough to get what you want.And you only need two or three chisels to start with,so you should be able to get something decent within your budget.

Good luck

Andrew

Byron - I 'obtained' my lathe from Penny Farthing Tools some time ago - an oldish Coronet Elf in very good nick, so it might be worth trawling around the second hand emporiums for lathes, also the bay have some good 'uns. I also bought a basic set of HSS turning tool blanks (a little cheaper) from Ashley Isles, Henry Taylor and made my own handles for them...make sure tho' that you include in your budget somat for a white wheel grinder, essential in my view. When you are all set up, have a go at turning some AOH's (Alf's Octagonal Handles) for your chisels....easy to do and good fun - Rob

BB, have a search for chinese rasps on the forum - only just got some from Workshop Heaven myself and haven't had time to speak from experience but Philly and Tony seem pleased and they certainly look the biz. As for files my go-to kit is an 8" turnip and 6" second and smooth cut in half rounds (I may come back and edit those lengths, can't recall for certain without checking). After that I cheat like crazy and use drum sanders, which is effective but without practice you can ruin the shape you were hoping for in short order. DAMH... :roll:

As for the lathe, I'm pretty chuffed with the little yellow Perform fwiw. But it's too heavy for regular moving on and off a bench if that's what you had in mind.

Cheers, Alf

Back