Lathe not starting.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britman

Chip of the old block
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
So my new lathe has stopped working.
It still gets power but it won't start, pressing the start but I hear a click.

Looks like a phone call to Axminster for a return is in order.

It would help others help you if the thread title related to the problem you have and if you told us a bit more about the lathe. Also what you have tried already.

My approach would be #1 spindle lock, #2 spin by hand, how does it feel, #3 slacken belt slightly, maybe it was too tight, #4 take belt off, see if motor starts now.

I'd also recall when it was last working, what's changed since? Did I change the belt onto a different pulley, open the cover, whatever. Is it the lathe or is it me? I has a minor panic recently only to realise I had laid a vacuum cleaner tube over the emergency stop button.

If it is one with electronic variable speed, think about the power supply. If it is via an extension lead, especially if there are other things running, you can get slight voltage drop at startup which can cause it to fail. My Coronet Herald was erratic until I realised and improved the layout and plugged directly into a socket.

Hope you get it working.

My apologies for for the lack luster post. The lathe is the Axminster AW205 the variable speed one.

I was using the lathe at the time, it just stop. It still gets power and the spindle moves as I would expect. Pressing the start button I hear a click and that's it.

I haven't spoken to Axminster and they are sending a new switch unit.

Out of curiosity, what is spindle lock and what would cause it?

Pleased to say that the lathe is back up and running. Changing the switch box resolved the issue.
Replaced under warranty.

Latest posts

Back